Why do my PC speakers have a crackling sound?

princedakkar69 March 25, 2013

My computer speakers were playing fine, sounding awesome and very clear. One day I brought home a can of compressed air to rid my PC of a ton of dust and when I plugged them back in they have a static crackling noise to them. I have them plugged into a two-port switch so that I get sound from both my PCs that I switch to.

One PC is using Windows and the other Ubuntu but the sound is the same on both PCs. Any idea what could have caused this to happen?

1. Heru Widiyanto

hi,
    it happen to me many times, and it coming from your speaker plug, make sure you plug it properly, sometimes little loose will cause static cracking noise

2. Rohit Pandey

please check your sound card or update the audio driver....or it also can be a effect of some malicious program on ur system.

To narrow the problem down a bit could you plug the speakers directly into another computer and check.
    Plug a different set of speakers into your computer and check that.

That will tell us (a) if its a speaker problem or (b) if its a sound card related problem.

4. David Yaroshevsky

I've had this happen to me, too; usually I think this is an issue with the actual audio-out port on your computer. For me, my speakers occasionally crackle when connected to my computer, but never when they're plugged into my phone or tablet. But I suppose it's equally possible that there could just be something wrong with the actual input cable. To figure it out, try plugging the cable into each PC individually to see if they both actually make the noise (since it could be only one port that's causing the crackling).

In the end, though, it's probably some minor yet permanent damage to some of your hardware. If you've still got warranty (and have a lot of patience), you could probably send it back to the manufacturer to be fixed (whether it's the speakers or one of the computers). Or, if it's a problem with the cable, you could try buying a new input cable.

hope both pcs sound cards are no the cause of the problem.

check connections and cables for the speakers

maybe is time to get new speakers!