Why do my graphics on a Word 2013 document show a background?

Anonymous September 11, 2013

I created a brochure and after I used the “Remove Background” on 1 image only, a shaded background began printing out on all of my graphics (WordArt and images). The boxes do not show on my screen but when printed, they appear. Crazy thing is that I can print the brochure from my MacBook Pro without the boxes.

It sounds like either the "Print drawings created in Word" or the "Print image placeholder" options was accidentally turned off. You will find instructions on how to restore both in
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918788 (the article is for Word 2007/2010, but will work for 2013 too).

• Patty L

Thanks for the reply, but already checked that and all is good. The images still print, but so does a light box around the images. And just noticed that when I printed it from Adobe Acrobat Pro, even the text boxes are printing with a shaded background.....

try to uninstall printer driver and reinstall see if this will solve the problem.

• Patty L

Tried this several times, didn't work.

• Patty L

Thanks for the reply!!

Do you have the same problems when printing other files on your pc? perhaps something to do with Word configuration on your pc?

• Patty L

The same problem anytime that I try to use an image with a transparent background on top of a colored background (image on top of a colored shape or colored page). If I don't use a colored background then the image prints just like I want transparent but as soon as I add a background color to the page, the image prints as if it too has a background.

The odd thing is that I tried to redo the brochure in MS Publisher. It appeared to be working correctly until, I chose to use the "Set Transparent Color" option on an image. After that, all the images with a transparent background, started printing with shaded backgrounds. So I just tried to redo it in Excel, did not use the "Set Transparent Background" and it printed correctly. Then, tried Excel again but used "Set Transparent Background" on 1 image and all then the images started printing with the shaded background. I has to be an error in the Office software.

• Patty L

Sorry "Set Transparent Color" is the correct language...

the images in your doc are they PNG if no try it

• Oron J

I think you've answered your own question. If you try to print something transparent, the colour behind it is going to show through, that is the point of transparency! If you are not happy with the result, you can change the transparent colour to white, or place a white object behind it (between it and the background colour).