Why do I need admin rights for all the software on my PC?

Erlis Dhima December 15, 2012

It seems that whenever I want to run a program I now need admin rights. I need them when installing new programs too. Also, often when I try to run these programs they crash. For example, Windows Media Center closes immediately when I try to access Live TV. A window appears saying the program has crashed and it’s sending a report.

What might be causing these issues? I’ve scanned for viruses but have found none.

To install most programs you must be logged on to an administrative account. Certain programs will not run in a limited account because they make changes to the HDD.

2. Erlis Dhima

Perhaps I the description I gave, was a bit wrong! Some programs are having problem running! Also, when I try to install new programs, some show an error tab, some doesn't show the setup menu.. Most of them start to install when I run as administrator.. But after installing they work with bugs.. So, probably it doesn't have to do with the administrator rights..
    I've captured an image what happens when I try to install dropbox..
    I'm also thinking it could be a problem with any service..

3. Ahmed Musani

you just need to change the administrative privilege by going to computer, right clicking it and selecting properties, selecting security and then the advanced tab.

4. luis donis

apparently have already said all the steps you need to make that good

Alan Wade is right. But its for your own safety.

6. John Smith

It is necessary to have admin rights to avoid any problem which creates during browsing or installing. For example if you have admin rights than when browsing if any programme or any virus programme unable to install them selves unless you give them access by entering your admin password. When asking for password pop up screen will show programmed detail. You can decide whether you want to install or not.

7. Jeffrey Wilson

Administrative rights protect your system from being corrupted by other user's on
    your system adding software that would change settings on the system with out
    your knowledge. It an added security.

Maybe your user profile is corrupted.Try creating a new user account with administrative rights and login to it to see if problem is solved.

9. Jim Dawkins

UAC - try disabling it (not recommended) or limiting its features

10. salim benhouhou

your UAC is turned on that's why it says that you need admin right when installing or modifying your softwares

1.Click Computer
    2.Right click on the Hard Disk icon where your OS is installed on and click Properties.
    3.Click the Security tab.
    4.Click the Advanced tab.
    5.Click the Change Permissions button located after the Permission Entries list.
    6.A new window will appear on your screen. Such a window contains a list of all the user accounts available on your computer.
    7.Select the user account you want to give total control over your Windows 7 and click the Edit button.
    8.Now, tick the checkbox labeled “Total Control” and press OK.

• Erlis Dhima

I tried what you suggested.. but it doesn't worked.. Probably it has to do with some system problems..

• Erlis Dhima

Please, read the comment I've done below.. Perhaps you can help me!

There is a couple of things to try, but we need to take it step by step.
    Open a Command Prompt window and type sfc /scannow then press Enter.
    Wait for it to finish, it could take a while.
    Once finished check your UAC setting and turn it off (just for now).
    Now try your programs etc, any difference?
    Post back and let us know the progress.

• Rohit Jhawer

Try what alan wade said. If that dosent work use your windows cd and repair it, That should solve any problems if they have anything to do with windows files. Else try to run the program in compatibility mode, change the mode to xp service pack 3 (In most of the cases this helps).

• Erlis Dhima

I tried with command prompt typing sfc /snannow
      Also, changing UAC settings... But nothing worked!
      The sfc said no changes found in the windows... Probably it has to do with the system.. and not with the admin rights.. I will wait for some more suggestion, and see what will happen! I will try some options by myself too.. I will post what the problem was when I find it...

• Erlis Dhima

Please Alan, read the comment I've done below.. Perhaps you can help me!