Why do I keep getting Active X warnings?

An E August 8, 2013

I have this web browser warning window everytime I open up my pc and then again when I open google chrome

Web Browser

One or more Activex controls could not be displayed because either
1) Your current security settings prohibit running Activex on this page or

2) You have blocked a publisher of one of the controls.

As a result, the page might not display correctly.

Can you please help me remove this?

1. Ann

Thank you all for replying. I have just one problem , a large one I think as just about a year ago, my IE just disappeared. I have searched my programmes and it is not there.
    When I try downloading a new version, I am told that an earlier version already exists. How can I find this, maybe then it may resolve the activex problem.
    I am not a geek and really struggle to sort things out but I try. Also I'm not sure how to acccess the start menu.

1) Control Panel, click on Programs and Features.
      2) click on the Turn Windows Features On and Off
      3) uncheck Internet Explorer, you will get message: Turning OFF Internet Explorer might affect other Windows feature and programs.... so just click OK
      4) Reboot
      5)See if the Active X problem is solved
      6) To reinstall Internet Explorer just go back again to Turn Windows Features On and Off and check Internet Explorer
      7) Reboot

• Dalsan M

The Start Menu is brought up by clicking on the Start Button on the bottom left corner of the screen (also can be brought up by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard). I definitely would scan for viruses and malware just to be sure, after performing the aforementioned suggestions. To help out with some of the other issues that you may or may not see with your system, go here to download Windows Repair (All-in-one): http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html. There definitely is something questionable going on if the Active X error is showing up when you start Windows. If you don't mind, click on the Start Button and type in "msconfig.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. If you can, copy the list of startup items and paste them here. It is likely that one of the startup items is causing you to get this error, and you really shouldn't have anything that connects to the internet through a browser without your knowledge or consent first.

I am curious as to why you get an ActiveX error when opening Chrome since it neither uses or supports ActiveX by default.

Do you have some Chrome ActiveX Extension installed? Or maybe the "IE Tab" for Chrome? If so please deactivate and try again.

Other then that I agree with Bruce – check your startup items, check the zones or if you don't use them reset to default within IE.

Regarding the first listed case, the web page that you are opening (or is being opened for you) is in the Restricted Sites zone or your security settings for the Internet zone have been modified to restrict what ActiveX controls can be run. You can check this by going to Control Panel - Internet Options and selecting the Security tab. The default settings for the Internet zone should be Medium-high and will allow most ActiveX controls to run unimpeded. You may want to select the Restricted Sites zone and check the Sites that are listed as members of the zone. Most ActiveX controls are disabled by default in this zone and it will affect all of the sites listed here.

The biggest question still remains: when you "open up" your PC, why is a ActiveX-enabled web browser attempting to access the Internet and possibly scripting at least one ActiveX control on your computer? You may want to check all of your startup items and/or scan for viruses and malware after the checks outlined in the previous paragraph.