Why do I have to re-configure my Windows 7 Lan settings every time I reboot?

David Humphreys July 12, 2011

I have to keep changing my LAN settings in Windows 7. Every time I turn my computer on and start to browse the web, I have to go into connections and un-tick the boxes or replace the ticks again.

Why is this happening and is there a workaround for the problem?

What do you need to reconfigure?  What checkboxes are you talking about?

• Dwhumphreys

Hi
      The problem is that when i close down my computer and turn it on the following day i get a message 'unable to find server'
      I then go into internet options in control panel followed by connections at the bottom of that page is Lan settings, i have to either tick or untick the box that says Automatically detect settings.
      Once i have done that i am able to get on the net its just that it has now become a bit of a chore having to go through this every time i start my system up.

Many thanks for the reply  

• justavis1tor

As a first guess I'd suggest that your PC tries to get its IP address via automatically detect settings, but is only being granted that info for 1 day.

Technically a DHCP server in your router, or modem, grants your PC an IP address. I suggest you read your router manual (or search for the info on the Internet) on how to set a static (i.e. permanent) IP address IF you only have 1 device connecting to the Internet through your router.