Why do I have to press the restart button three or four times to boot my desktop computer?

shihabptr edavannappara November 16, 2012

After I press on button of my desktop, the computer is not booting. Then I have to press the restart button 3 to 4 times to boot the computer.

1. Usman Mubashir

if you press the physical button, the problem is that your button is faulty, try servicing

2. Aniket Singh

check the connection it may be got olt that's why its happining.....or reconnect it properly

3. Ayan Panja

you may try these step...
    1. clean cpu cooler fan and heat sink
    2. clean ram slot
    3. when computer starts clean run > %temp%

4. Dimal Chandrasiri

if the power button fails to boot up your computer, the problem is with your power supply. when you first boot up the computer, it uses more current than while it's on working state. for this, there are capacitors to give the power boost in the start. if these capacitors fail to charge them selves at the first time when you start the computer, the pc won't boot. I don't think that pressing the restart button is helping you, but it gives the necessary time frame to get the capacitors charged.

that's why it takes time to boot up your computer. I would recommend you to change the power supply.

there is another exception that can make this problem happen. it's a fault in your mother board. but I don't think that if there is a fault, it will boot after few seconds.

5. Bruce

On my desktop I have to holed the start button a few seconds or it will not start, A quick press usually does not work.

6. Brandon Lockaby

Three possible issues:

Your power supply is shot.
    Bad power switch.
    worst case scenario; Your motherboard is bad.

7. Drew Bookout

I would check the switch first, then cables (including the power cable to the mobo [motherboard]), then check the PSU to make sure that you're getting accurate power output, then check the mobo it's self. A friend of mine had this issue once and we found out the mobo had a short on it that we temporary fixed by loosening one of the mobo screws to the case (to relieve pressure off the bad area). I personally had my front switch simply go bad which i just tested by hooking up the reset switch to the mobo's power switch pins and putting the power switch on the reset button switch - and shazam it was the switch thankfully.

8. Alex Livingstone

Reset the CMOS battery.

An issue i had once, the power button was problematic. If this is the case, an easy solution is to put the cables that are connected to the power button to the reset button. There won't be any reset button in that case, but the computer will boot up.

10. erick

power supply..,replace it with a higher watts ,or with a new one

11. Christian Cawley

have you tried unplugging from the mains, leaving it for a while and then trying again?

If PC boots first time, then the issue is either the PSU or your power cable.

12. Suvrojit Mondal

might be your hard disk is failing....

13. Félix S. De Jesús

Did you change the volts of your CPU??

Could be a failing PSU.

15. Dave Rimmer

So the PC won't boot with the power button only the reset button 3/4 times. How long as this been going on, has it just started, did you move your PC at all, we need more info. But I would check for loose connections on the Power/Reset buttons.

16. Aswin Kumar Nayakann

May be there is a loose connection with the restart switch or the power switch. You refer to the nearest service center.

17. Ray Randall

Probably a hardware issue. Is it under warranty? We had this problem on a bunch of Dell Optiplex 790's that had to had them replaced.

possible hardware problem, check cables, remove ram clean dust and replug

if still do not work reset cmos battery

remove the graphic card and boot on the on board graphic card.

Is there any error messages or just a blank screen?
    If it is just a blank screen look at the monitor light when you have turned on the computer, is it dimmed somewhat? If so, try another monitor.

20. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Maybe the spring needs replacing, or there are loose wires.

What version of Windows are you using?