Why do I have lag when I play Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Charles Yost January 18, 2013

I keep getting a lot of lag when I am playing SWTOR and a have to restart the entire game again once it crashes. Is it my computer, my internet, or just the amount of people on the server?

1. Joel Thomas

Upgrading your pc is the only way

2. Declan Vong

What are your computer specs, and do you mean FPS (frame per second) lag or high ping?

• Charles Yost

Not sure what you mean on FPS. A little new to the online gaming world.

• Declan Vong

Video is comprised of multiple images, called "frames", that is strung together and displayed very quickly, one after the other. FPS (frames per second) is the number of these "frames" that is displayed per second.
        If the fps is higher than around 24, then the brain sees the images as a constant, moving video rather than a string of pictures.

Ping on the other hand is the time it takes for your computer to respond with the game server - for example, if you move your character but your character doesn't move until a few seconds later.

Your pc is old for the game, meaning the game needs higher specs than your pc. happens to me most of the time if i want to play any new games coz my pc is old with celeron processor.

this is very true:)

• Charles Yost

How old is old? I have watched Netflix and other movies on it and is seems fine. I have also played other games with little problem. Maybe I am due for a newer PC.

• Charles Yost

I think that I just need to look into upgrading my computer or just buying a newer one. Thank you to everybody for your help.

4. Mihovil Pletikos

does the program crash or does it just log you out?

• Charles Yost

It starts by sounding like a scratched cd and the audio jumps around or repeats itself. I also have a problem sometimes when I am trying to move my character and he ends up going the wrong direction of just stops in mid step. Then the screen freezes and I can't do anything but Task Manager. When I go there, it says that SWTOR is not responding. I have to end the game and go all the way back in. Sometimes that loading screen takes forever.

1) go to http://www.swtor.com/download and download the setup file again and
    run it as Administrator
    2) add an exception for SWTOR_setup.exe to security software (firewall, antivirus)

1. make sure swtor is closed
    2. goto swtor folder
    3. delete the "retailclient" folder
    4. open the launcher
    5. press the cog button and hit repair.
    6. wait for launcher to re-download and repair the install
    7. enjoy playing crash free swtor.

Right click on the Launcher icon and click properties.
    Click the compatibility tab
    Click on Change settings for all users
    Tick "Run in compatibility mode for:"
    Vista users should choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) whereas Windows 7 users should choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    Click apply