Why do I get error 3194 when trying to restore my iPhone 4?
Question by Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi /

Whenever I try to restore my iPhone 4, the following error occurs:

The iPhone “kaaroo” clould not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

Can anyone tell me the reason for this and how to solve the problem?

• anonymous

i have already fix this problem when i upgrade from ios 4 to 5.1.1, just use tiny umbrella to request to cydia if have saved your SHSH blobs then if yes then you can restore your apple unit, save SHSH blobs to your computer then download the latest jailbreak tool of redsnow from that tool you can stitch the local blob to ipsw file of ios 5.1.1 to come up with custom ipsw. then download ireb-r5 to pawned state your unit and restore it with custome ipsw. thats it.

• how to fix error 3194

Please tell me how I solve this problem.how to fix error 3194

• Darren Charles

Not too sure of the cause of the problem but I found this fix.

Fix Error 3194
    The fix is the same regardless of what operating system you are using:

Quit iTunes
    Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X this is /etc/hosts and in Windows this is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
    Add the following lines to the very bottom of the hosts file: gs.apple.com
    Connect your iPhone to the computer
    Launch iTunes
    Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
    Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device
    Once your iOS update is finished, remove the “ gs.apple.com” line from your hosts file again so that iTunes can properly update as usual. If you need them, you can get iPhone firmware, iPad firmware, and iPod touch firmware directly from Apple.

• Mark S.

I have followed the instructions exactly, but when I restart iTunes and go into recovery mode (iPhone 4s) where I specify the .ipsw dataset, it reads thru it and then immediately gives me the “3194” error.
      I have included the internet address “ gs.apple.com” in the “hosts” dataset in the folder sequence of “C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc” as the first line, last line, with the # character, without, all to no avail.
      Is it simply that the iPhone 4S can never be restored via iTunes once one has inflicted the IOS 6 abomination ?

• Dee Jay

Hey Mark,

Just wondering if you ended up with a solution to your problem…im in the middle of trying to downgrade my firmware on my iphone 4 atm. But cannot due to the 3194 error…..tried the same things as you in hosts file but still no fix.

Have you found a solution yet?

Thank you

• Matt

how do you save the changes in the host file? i know to put in the # gs.apple.com but i cant save those changes to make a difference

• Susendeep Dutta

Fix Error 3194 from iTunes during iPhone restore –

Video help –

• druv vb

This is due to an error in the update server for your phone.
    If seems that you use a custom server (Cydia) for updating your iPhone, its a temporary bug that can happen from time to time.
    Don’t worry it will work within days.
    Restore/Update your iPhone again then.

Alternatively check this

Its the same error for any firmware version.
    I got the same while trying to update a 3GS to 5.0.1.
    It worked 2 days later.

• Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

i tired to follow the steps from redmondpie and now im getting a new error (1314) and my iphone4 got into recovery mode.. help me out!!

• ryandigweed0

Try connecting your Computer directly to the internet (not from the router)

Try a different USB Port

Try a different system.