Why do I get an error when I try to open any pen drive?

Dhaval Kaneriya December 16, 2012

When I insert my pen drive, the pen drive is detected. However, when I open it, I get an error saying “This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.”

1. John Smith

make sure u log in with an administrator account.

2. AHAMED YASEEN

Possible reasons:

Usb write protect

Virus may be affected .

you can turnoff write protect and try to open pendrive

3. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

Check to see that the USB drive itself doesn't have a lock on it. Otherwise take ha14's answer and take ownership. Worse-case scenario, if it works on another computer, back it up and format it, and see if that works.

Is this your personal computer or one you use where your employed? Many companies use security software to prevent viruses and malware from entering their system as well as preventing employees from stealing company information via pen drives

5. Achraf Almouloudi

Oops, I mean by USD there : USB drives.

6. Achraf Almouloudi

There is little USD drives with write protection and write protection will not forbid you from ACCESSING the drive, you will only be denied from changing and adding what's there.

7. Achraf Almouloudi

If you're not using an Administrator account you may have been forbidden to do that, contact IT manager to solve it, if you are the administrator try Rizone shell extention to gain your privileges again and scan for viruses.

8. luis donis

low level format it is in and if it works as they say off the write protection

take ownership
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Rizone-Take-Ownership-Shell-Extension.shtml

install then right click on the USB key and take OWnership

10. Kulwinder Rouri

Have you checked your Pen Drive on Another computer? I think you have made changes in your computer.