Why do I get 404 errors when accessing my website?

Anonymous November 21, 2013

Please, I need help.
404 Article not found, site name is purchase-product.com

I cannot find article on my site whenever I publish through my hosting account.  I am using Joomla to design my site.
The following is what I found whenever I visited my site on web browser.

An error has occurred while processing your request.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
a mistyped address
a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
you have no access to this page

My site is purchase-product.com

Please, what is the cause of this?

I will like to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

1. Demanna F

This can be one message from the site's Web-server notifying customers the requested link does not occur. Readers can get frustrated attempting to understand to non-existent Web-pages, In case your site has broken links. Search engines may also not have the capacity to list all content in your site.

When accessing a website by simply using the domain name (and not a specific landing page), the server will look for a default landing page to send to the user. In most cases it will be something like 'index.html' but can be configured to be something else. Well, whatever the server is configured to look for (and it can be multiple file names) does not exist on the server. You need to either change the server configuration to point to what you want as the default page or you need to rename your default page to something the server will find in its search list.

By the look of it, your server or Joomla is misconfigured. It's not really possible to tell more without having the full details of how they are configured and how they *should* be configured, so you should contact your server provider for advice.

4. Shishir

404 errors mostly mean any one or more of the following things:
    1. The path/URL is incorrect. It happens when you type wrong path inside a website. If the page inside the site you are looking for doesn't exist then you can get 404 error. If the URL you are requested doesn't exist, but its host or homepage does, it can show 404 error.
    2. You don't have access to it. Some websites are limited within an area or a country. This can give 404 Forbidden error.
    3. You are trying to access a file in a site that is forbidden to you. For example trying to access the admin dashboard without being one.
    In your case, it seems that the website you are trying to access is down temporarily or permanently. Maybe its down for maintenance. The site was previously created with Joomla, so it shows the error details.

Read this Wiki page on 404 errors, it may help you find the error.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_404

6. LogeshWarrior

404 errors can be tackled easily! Just follow these steps :
    1. Redirect On site
    2. Redirect from host
    3. Submit New pages to Search engines (say Google), etc..
    If you still have doubt, read this article : http://www.infozub.com/2013/11/Avoid-404-errors-easily.html

7. kihara

Hi, have you tried contacting support to help you with this error?
    There are several issues that can lead to such an error. It would help if you posted what you were doing immediately before you got the 404. This way you can get a specific solution.