Why do emails sent to a Hotmail account fail permanently?

Eric Andrews January 10, 2013

I have on a number of occasions sent messages to a friend, who has a recognised Hotmail address, but each time they were Failed Permanently. Why?

1. Saurav Azad

check your mail settings .
    check for smtp connection settings

2. Paul Pruitt

Apparently if the smtp server you mail from is blacklisted, Hotmail won't deliver the mail too. So see if you can find the IP address of your smtp server by pinging it from the CMD line. Then try putting in the IP address in this blacklist checker: http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx.

3. Ahmed Musani
  4. Paul Pruitt

It's possible your friend is on a blacklist. Contact your Technical Support for the provider of your Email system and see if they have a blacklist of users they don't send Emails too. It used to be a lot of Hotmail addresses got on blacklists I think.

If you internet provider is not your Email provider, say Gmail and Google give you Email whereas Verizon runs your internet, check with your Internet Service provider technical support for ideas. They can look at the return messages you get and give you a better idea.

5. Stephen Josh

Email sent fail permanently only when the recipient's address is wrong. So please double check the email ID to whom you are sending the email.

6. eric andrews

I would first like to say thank you to all the people who provided answers to my question. I would also like to add that I am a new boy or novice at this computer,
    and Email practice,so I will ask ...What is my next step? to be honest I do not even
    know what S M T P errors means. I know you can help!

Hotmail Free POP3 and SMTP Access and Server Configuration Settings
      http://www.mydigitallife.info/hotmail-free-pop3-and-smtp-access-and-server-configuration-settings/

use a different port other than 25 for outgoing mail server

• Jan Fritsch

If the email could not be sent to the address you usually receive a Non-Delivery Report sometimes called "Delivery Status Notification" or "bounce message" which is usually sent from "Mailer Daemon" or "administrator@domain.com".

In this report there might be some text explaining the error but at minimum it will give you the reporting server and the error code it created.

Usually there is a line looking something like that:
      "Remote host said: 5.5.0 Recipient address rejected: sometext"

The SMTP Error Code are the 3 numbers and usually start with 5.x.x or 4.x.x

If you don't get any delivery notification there several options:
      (a) The email was received and maybe ended up in Junk-Mail or was filtered out.
      (b) The NDR report ended up in your Junk-Mail or was filtered out
      (c) The mailserver you are using does not issue NDRs which by itself is not bad but means you will have to contact the administrator of it to find out what caused your message not to reach your friend.
      (d) The message was successfully sent to Hotmail but 'vanished' in their mail system. While this is highly unlikely it's possible and would probably never be addressed or commented by Hotmail.

There are many reasons why messages may fail to be delivered, but with a large service like Hotmail you can probably rule out anything relating to connectivity failure at their end (such as servers crashing). As Jan suggests, check the SMTP errors and, if you don't understand them, post them in this forum and we'll do our best to help.

8. Douglas Mutay

I can think about two raisons: either because your friend inbox has exceeded the size he is allowed to have in MSN servers or you are trying to send a big attachment that he is not allowed to receive in his inbox.
    But if it's an email without attachment i will suggest trying using another email account and send to you friend a test mail.

9. Jan Fritsch

Usually the problem is stated either in text or as an SMTP Error code within the non-delivery report you get back.

Without that error it's impossible to say – for all we know he could have simply blocked your email address.