Why did my Sony Vaio webcam stop working and how can I fix it?

Cindy Ley May 5, 2013

Am unable to engage in video chat or Skype because the machine says I have no webcam, which I do, as the video used to work.

1. yudics

The cable from camera to motherboard maybe damaged as it runs through the display's hinge.

3. Ira Tozer

Most of the time it comes down to the camera driver software. Go to the main Sony site and look for the support or software location. Then using your model find the appropriate driver and download and run it.

Open up Device Manager (right-click on Computer, select 'Manage', then select Device Manager in the left-hand column). Open up the 'Sound, video and game controller' section and verify that your webcam is listed and does not have a red X or black exclamation point next to it. A red X means it is disabled. The exclamation point means there is a problem with the device (normally related to drivers). Double-clicking on the device entry will bring up its property page where it will list the device status and any relevant error codes. Doing a lookup on the error code should tell you what is wrong and, possibly, how to fix it.