Why did a second partition disappear after re-installing Windows?

Madafaka B July 30, 2013

I had Windows 7 installed on a partition “c”. In addition to the partition “c”, I had a partition “d” for files. After formatting partition “c” and installing Windows 7 again, the partition “d” is missing. How do I restore missing partition ?

I tried to get into the setup again and to format the partition D, but after that, I threw out an error when starting the “Missing NTLDR file …”, so I had to go to the Repair System.

How do I restore the missing partition ?

Sorry or my bad English, I am from Serbia.

1. Jenne Q

try partition wizard home version, it is free. you can use it to recover your lost partition.

2. Alan W

Well I did type out an answer but its either held for modification or dissappeared, not sure which or why....

3. Alan W

As it seems from your question that you have wiped everything, what I would do is re-install windows 7 again but when you are at the screen asking where to install etc. select and delete your "D" drive. then proceed to wipe and re-install to your "C" drive.
    After installation, download and install a third party partition manager such as Paragon and run it.
    You should see the blank unassigned space on your hard drive, format and assign a drive letter to it and you should be done.
    Just install the programs you want now.
    You will of course lose ALL data from both partitions, but reading through your question, I assume you have already done that.

partition find and mount
    http://findandmount.com/

How to Undelete a Partition with TestDisk
    http://www.myfixlog.com/fix.php?fid=62

Check Disk Management. If you can see both partitions (possibly 3 partitions including a hidden system partition), you may be able to use a partition recovery tool such as Paragon Partition Manager or Paragon Hard Disk Suite in order to "undelete" your data partition. If you are only seeing one large partition on the drive and no unallocated space, then something was done wrong during the reinstallation and the data may be permanently lost. The data recovery tools available in Hiren's Boot CD may be able to recover at least some of it, but it will be a painstaking, and mostly manual process.

As a side note, NTLDR is used in NT versions up through XP. Vista, 7, and 8 use BOOTMGR instead so getting a message about a missing NTLDR file indicates other issues with the machine (i.e., it is set up for multi-booting with Windows 2000 or XP as one of the boot options, etc).