Why did a bad battery corrupt my SD card and how can I recover the data?

Ali Alwan April 15, 2013

Gentlemen please help!

I had a miniSD card in my Android phone that I was using fine till I bought a bad battery which suddenly shut down my phone. I replaced it with a good battery but my phone doesn’t see the SD memory at all. I put it in the computer and used an SD reader that causes the computer to beep when I put the reader in the USB but doesn’t show the card.

I used another SD card and the reader and phone works fine but they still cannot see my other miniSD? What does it mean? Did it get corrupted? What can I do to retrieve my important data on it? There is no lock or drive issue, this memory is just not seen by devices anymore.

What can I do?

1. Siu PoNing

I think the shutting down make your SD card corrupted or damaged, you can try to plug the card to another computer or device, if it can be read, you can use SD Card Data Recovery to get back your lost data, if not, I think the chip of the card has been damaged. i hope the later situation won't happen.

2. Mark mohan

Don't worry about data of SD Card ,You can very easily recover all your data from a corrupted SD Card with the help of a Data Recovery software,There are are several software available which can help to do this task and Kernel for Windows Data Recovery is one of them.

3. maria cater

If your card is can be identified by computer

then you can recover the data on it.

try minitool data recovery., which can deeply scan your hard drive. powerful and free.

4. Anay Chaubal

most probably means that ur mini sd card has given up the ghost. its dead. tough luck, if it had important data, you should have backed it up. If it had important data, you shouldn't have been using a cheap battery in the first place.

5. Paul Pruitt

If you haven't already try using a WIndows computer for recovery. See if it Windows at least assign the card a drive letter. If it does, you might be able to use ChkDsk for recovery. See this encourging MakeUseOf article: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-recover-data-from-a-corrupt-memory-card-or-usb-drive/

However from your tone, my suspicions are you won't be so lucky. If it is worth it to you you might have to try an expensive professional recovery company. In WIndow you can try going to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management -> Click on the menu and choose Action -> Choose "rescan Disks". See if the disk appears. If it does or if it already appeared in the list of disks and no letter is assigned to it, try right clicking on the disk representation and choosing to assign it a letter. Then try the ChkDsk command mentioned in the article.

Good luck!

I'd suggest a slight modification to Chris's analysis. If the data had not been completely written ("buffers flushed") at the time the battery failed, then the filesystem on the card would be damaged. If you have a PC with Windows, there are many recovery packages which will help you recover the data. The easiest one to use is Recuva (www.piriform.com/recuva/download), although it only recovers images, music and video files, so if you have any other data on the card you'll need to try a different package.
    Once your data has been recovered, reformat the mini SD card and it'll be good as new!

7. Athul Jayaram

Your battery problem made your SD card faulty, so if it is no longer detected as a drive anywhere backuping is a problem.

If it is shown as a drive somwhere use http://www.piriform.com/recuva a free 100% working software to get files on the SD card recovered

I hope this helps

8. Chris Marcoe

I believe, if your phone was writing to the card when it shut down, then it will corrupt the card. Is this what happened? And, if that is the case, I don't believe there is anything you can do to get it bad. But, I hope I'm wrong.

can be because of minisd card connectivity become faulty, or file structure (partiton...) of the minisd card got corrupted by the phone which was shutdown suddenly.