Why could my old Android phone install apps to an SD card, but my new one can’t?

September 11, 2013

I am using LAVA Iris 501 ICS 4.0.4 Android Phone for the last 3 months. It installs all the applications in External Micro SD Card which is removable. Now I have purchased another phone Karbonn A30 ICS 4.0.4. for want of Big Screen (5.9 Inch) to play games. I am very much annoyed because it is not installing any applications on the External Micro SD Card. The phone always says storage full. How LAVA Iris 501 is supporting installing of applications on the External Micro SD Card, so why doesn’t my Karbonn A30 not support it, when both of them run Android ICS 4.0.4?

1. Patrick B

If you cant get the apps to install on the external sd, maybe you have on of those phones with internal memory sd. im assuming judging that you keep running out of space. You need to make a link to the external sd. Not sure if your rooted but if you are then install link2sd from google play. It will help you out.

If going through with link2sd. First backup whatever is on your external sd

Then format the external sd with two primary partitions . One partition 1Gb or less as ext2, ext3,or ext4(personally i use ext4 with my optimus G). The other partition is the rest of the space left. Format it to fat or fat32 depending on how much space is your external sd. Anything above 4gb should be fat32.

Then your all good to go. Open up link2sd, a popup should show up asking for the ext partition you just made. Reboot and start making symbolic links.

Go into Android's settings, and under "Storage" make sure that the SD card is selected as the default write disk. This should do it, but note that anything *already installed* will not be moved to the SD, so you'll either need to remove it and reinstall it, or use something like App Manager which Alan recomended.

you can go to settings-application-choose an application and check if there is an option move to?

4. Alan W

I cannot comment on those particular models but what I did is to download a App Manager from the Google store and use that to move apps to the SD card.