Why can’t Windows delete script files?

Anthony Hutzler December 27, 2012

I installed Windows 7 professional over Vista, which left the old Windows folder on my hard drive. I decided to delete it. However, now when I try to delete anything I am told I have 157 script files that are too long to delete. I can’t find them.

I don’t know what to do about this. One could think Windows could delete its own stuff!

Take ownership of the files and then delete them.

• Anthony Hutzler

I can't find them. Can you tell me where to locate them. I have been looking and looking for them but no luck.

perhaps it is file name that is too long, is it happening when you try to delete a file from the desktop or what is left in Windows.old?

3. Devendra Meena

Try to delate folder "as a admin
    you can also try "direct del comment "ctrl+shift+del

And Now The Working method ...Install "Tune up 2013 from its own server.
    After right click on that foler "a option came out "TuneUp sherdder...choose and Enjoy :)

Did you tried the method mentioned in the link below to delete the Windows.old folder containing data of old Windows OS installation -

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-delete-the-windowsold-folder

Try the above mentioned method to see if it helps.

• Anthony Hutzler

I did just what was told to do . old windows is gone,but still when I try to delete window pop up . Preparing to recycle from discovering items . It just keeps going and going . If I cancel it . Then window pops up Recycle bin is corrupted. Do you want to emptyit . I hit yes then window says 157 script files can not be deleted names are to lagre, find them and try shorting the names and try again. Click skip files for now. Anthony Hutzler I can not find a file or folder with script files to try to delete as adimn. or to try to shorten there names. Please any other suggestions. Thank you all.

• Amit Sinha

another option is to make a fresh install of windows 7 through bios

5. maria

have your reboot your computer? if you still can't delete the files.

try minitool partition wixzard. format the hard drive , maybe it will works.