Why can’t we delete or edit a comment on MakeUseOf?

Chris Marcoe April 11, 2013

There have been several times where I have posted a reply to someone’s comment, and meant to post a comment that is for an article, not a reply. somehow, I have put it as a second reply to someone. (Yes, I just did it on an article again). Or, I have hit the “Post reply” button and right as I do, I see that I misspelled the word just (usually, jsut).

The problem being, we can’t fix our simple mistakes. Today, I posted a reply to someone and forgot to put the link in that I referenced. I go back and look at it later, and BOOM!!! someone down-voted me (/le cry). I really don’t mind the down-vote, but I would like to have just edited the post and put in the link I had forgotten.

It seems to me like it would be a pretty easy fix, but I really don’t know much about code or anything on that side of the tech house.

So, why can’t we do this?

1. Chinmay Sarupria

Go to this page and contact Makeuseof team. Ony they can help you.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/about/

• Chris Marcoe

I would...but their Tech guy just posted...

2. MakeUseOf TechGuy

For what it's worth, it is quite complicated actually. Not impossible, mind. But as Dalsan says, I'm not sure we should add it. The most frustrating thing I find on Reddit is when a comment is deleted, leaving [deleted] and a bunch of angry follow-ups. You can't just delete the entire comment, or the threading breaks. I guess what I'm saying is, don't post a comment unless you sure you want it posted.

3. SaapeXD MoHods

For now, that feature is not available! Hopes makeuseof would implement that feature soon! :D

4. Harshit J

This feature is badly needed. MUO needs to implement it quickly. We can only wait and watch.

5. DalSan M

I'm not trying to overstep any lines or boundaries here, but this is what I think. Even though for the most part it seems like a good idea, it makes it more difficult to keep track of the posts and those that want to try to abuse the system. To me, replying under your own post to correct or update your comment seems to make for more honest responses. People can make a comment, then change it later to go along with a "better" answer just to get some points if there were the implementation of the edit button. There are a lot of good, but also a lot of bad, that can come with being able to edit comments. Weighing out the good with the bad is always an issue with trying to maintain professionalism within a site, but maybe trying out a beta trial to see how it would be used by the users may sway the possibility of implementing the ability to edit posts. I don't think there would be a problem with the implementation of a "cancel post" button to use in case of mis-posting comments. There are times that people post comments under the wrong section and immediately notice this right after hitting the post button.

I know there is more to being able to edit posts or not, but as I said, this is just my thoughts.

i think the present system do not allow editing, perhaps makeuseof will add this option later...