Why can’t my converted .AVI files play in my DVD player?

Nala D July 23, 2013

I am a heavy Format Factory user. I know how to convert files using it, but every time I try to play an .AVI file that I personally converted in my old standalone player via a flash drive, it won’t read it! The funny thing is that these .AVI movies can play in the same DVD player! I didn’t convert these from myself; I copied them from a friend.

Now, I wonder, what am I doing wrong? How come these files can play while my own converted ones cannot? Is there something I need to tweak in the settings before converting using FFactory? I convert these to MPEG instead since my DVD can read them immediately. I’m no newb nor a techie but I sure can follow instructions!

Please see these GSpot screenshots with info about the .AVI files:

maybe something due to permission read/write, on your avi movies write click and check security settings they should be Allow?

or when you converted dvd you used settings that your dvd player do not understand? also check the size file of your friend avi and yours, if yours are bigger maybe there is size limitation.

• Nala D

There is no problem with the permission, both in the USB drive and the AVI files. I checked them. The DVD player read an AVI file before that was around 1GB, so I think size limitation is not really a biggie. And that's what I am figuring out. It can play AVI and MPEG files but sometimes there are AVI files that can't play particularly those that I personally converted.

in FormatFactory there should be mediainfo
      check the video length for you avi converted and the dvd see if there are any difference?

MPEG4Modifier
      http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG4-Modifier
      check PAL or NTSC

With GSpot check your .avi file apparently if you used should NOT use Qpel or GMC then will not playback perfectly. For 4:3 no lower than 512 x 384 and for 16:9 no lower than 448 x 336. To prevent sound problems, use any of the following AC3 2.0 AC3 5.1 MP3 2.0 MP3 5.1

I'm not 100% certain that I understand your description, but seeing the exchange between Bruce and yourself, I feel I need to clarify. All AVIs are not created equal! AVI is a container format, so your DVD may well play _some_ AVI clips and not others, depending on the codec used within them. So, when you converted the files yourself, did you use exactly the same settings as those shown in the screenshots above? If not, try it, or experiment with a number of codecs. The manual for your DVD player should also provide you some information as to which codecs are supported.

• Nala D

I learned that AVI files are not equal from a site before, so I experimented with other settings several times with no avail. I don’t really know a lot about the settings/info as seen from the screenshots above. I just used the program GSpot to get more information, and posted it here because I was hoping someone could help me 'reading' them. I don’t really understand all those numbers and stuff. Do you know which codec is common between the 3 screenshots? Is there a codec that is commonly used in almost all DVD players? Is there such a thing like that? Sorry, I don’t know much in this area. Help will be appreciated.

• Oron J

The screenshots you include show you're using MPEG4 within an XviD wrapper. MPEG4 is often supported in DVD players in one way or another (since it is often incorporated into other standards, such as XviD, QuickTime and BlueRay, it's not a simple "supported or unsupported" issue).
      Since I don't use Format Factory, I can't advise you on the exact settings, but try converting a video to MPEG4 directly (not encapsulated in anything) and see if that works.

Each video seems to be avi, but the audio and video settings are different in each. These differences can pose compatibility issues, such as you are seeing now. MPEG is more universally compatible with many devices. I've had to search online to find the compatible format and settings for my DirecTV receivers to play video files that were being streamed from my PC. You may have to do the same, or at least view the settings of video files that do work and try to replicate the same settings.

• Nala D

That is exactly what I want to know--how to replicate the same settings using Format Factory! If not that program, then it’s okay as long as there precise instructions. I know I have to adjust the settings before I convert it, but I don’t even know where to start. I mean, which one should I tweak exactly to get the same results?

If you are simply putting the AVI files on a flash drive to do this, you need to make sure the device understands the AVI container format. If it doesn't (many don't), it won't be able to play the file. You probably need to convert it to MPEG in order for it to work since most DVD players understand the format.

I believe your comment about "these .AVI movies can play in the same DVD player" is referring to these files being burned to a CD/DVD. In that case, it was transcoded during the burn process to MPEG format which is why it would work. If the disc was created as a simple data disc, you would have the same issue you have with the flash drive.

• Nala D

I think I wasn't that clear. Sorry. The pics above refer to the AVI files that my DVD player CAN play. I put them in the USB stick not in a CD/DVD. So that means my DVD player can READ the AVI container format, right? The thing I am wondering now is: I have video files that I own which I personally converted to AVI, but my DVD player won't read them (via USB stick)! I want my video files to be in AVI than MPEG since the former is bigger and I want to save disk space. However, I am currently into MPEG while I am trying to figure out this puzzle..any suggestions?

• Nala D

I think I wasn’t that clear. Sorry. The pics above refer to the AVI files that my DVD player CAN PLAY. I put them in a USB stick NOT in a CD/DVD, and although there was a little lag at first, my DVD player CAN play them. So that means my DVD player CAN READ the AVI container format, right? What I’m wondering is, I have video files in the same USB stick that I personally converted to AVI but this time the same DVD player won’t play them. I want to convert using AVI since I noticed MPEG is bigger, and I want to save disk space. Any suggestions?

• Dalsan M

I think we would need the dvd player brand and model number to find out what formats are compatible through USB. Although one might think that both dvd's and USB slot should read the same files in the same manner, it may not be so in this case.

• Nala D

The DVD player I got is not from a famous brand. It's Pensonic and a Malaysian brand I think. I tried to look for the manual at home but I'm afraid it's lost. My sister bought it and is kinda careless. (-_-#) I tried to look for the manual online but was unsuccessful. They have a Facebook page, so I will check that later. I will update later once I'm at home and checked the model.