Why can’t my computer recognize my external hard drive, and how do I fix the problem?

October 18, 2013

I got a WD Elements 1TB hard drive, and at first it worked fine. But for the last few days, each time I try to run a backup to that drive, I get an error message saying that the drive does not exist. The drive also doesn’t show up in Windows Explorer, and the power light doesn’t come on. I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting the drive several times, but it has no effect.

1. Francis B

Try replacing the USB cable from you're HardDrive to you Computer.. sometimes it get burst out and burn the wire inside it ..
    If it did not work..
    Try checking the USB ports for you're computer..
    Or try you're HardDrive in your friends laptop or computer.

2. Aswin K

Check the wire between your hard disk connecting USB drive.These wires in hard disks may have a loose contact and give problems.

while the hard drive is plugged try this microsoft solution
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices