Why can’t my computer find my primary hard drive?

Chloe Laurain Hult December 22, 2012

I know almost nothing about computers, but every time I boot it (it’s a Windows XP, and a Dell) says that it can’t find my primary hard drive and I should strike F1 to retry boot, or strike F2 to setup utilities.

Anyone know what I should do? I would really appreciate any help.

1. Hazin Shereef

DOWNLOAD easeus partition master home and install it ( link:-http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.html)..,
    go to main screen of easeus patition master.. and check ur C:\ drive is a primary type if it is logical convert it into primary partition ....
    then click on apply (sometimes restart required)
    after it open partition tool again and click on ur disk (eg:- Disk 1(MBR))
    then select rebuild mbr (master boot record) option on left panel..
    select ur os in popup window (eg:- Windows 2000/ XP)
    click on ok . then click on apply...
    try to restart ur pc (i think u can solve ur problem this way)

2. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

You should enter your BIOS and check to make sure that it's not being disabled. It's either a malfunctioning drive or there's something wrong with the bios settings.

3. Vipul Jain

1) A bit DIY tip. Open up the CPU Panel and you'll easily see the HDD. Unplug the cable and plug it back in from both sides. If this doesn't fix the problem try getting new cables and as an ultimate option, get your HDD checked by a hardware guy.

If you enter BIOS, does it recognize your hard drive? perhaps hard drive problem, boot to BIOS and check if boot order is on the hard drive containing windows, check also cables from hard drive to motherboard (disconnect reconnect).

how do I disconnect the cables I see it but I don't know how.

Pull the cable from the connector.
        Internal hard disks connect to your computer's motherboard using an IDE interface or SATA interface. Most new hard drives come with either an IDE or SATA connection cable, depending on the type of drive. just pull it out from the hard drive (Unplug all cables connected to the hard disk) and also from the motherboard then replug.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOfJF-ubLM

5. Duy Nguyen Minh

USe Hirent boot cd format. check your hardware and active Primary.

You should ask someone who does know about computer hardware to have a look at it. Any suggestions here will take too long to explain so you understand.