Why can’t my Android connect to my Mac Pro’s wireless hotspot?

Shaurya Mishra April 15, 2013

Hi,

I have been trying to use my office’s Mac Pro network by creating a wireless hotspot for my Android device. I went through the whole procedure, created a network with 40bit encryption and a 5-letter password but when I tried to connect from my Android device the connection failed as it was unable to obtain an IP address.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I need to know about creating a hotspot in Mac OS X 10.7.5? I am using Android Jelly Bean (4.2).

1. macwitty

Even if the Internet share say that you should use a 5-letter password for 40bit encryption when share outside the Apple eco system I have found that 13-letter password for 128bit encryption often works better

2. Anay Chaubal

lotsa issues with getting an android phone to connect to an ad-hoc wifi connection.
    I had that issue on winXP, but a move to Windows 7 fixed it, since i noticed a friend's computer had Win7 and was able to create a working hotspot.
    So, maybe specifically searching for a solution for this issue on google with the proper mac os version might help you out.

3. DalSan M

What kind of wireless connection is your Mac Pro broadcasting? If it is an ad-hoc connection, then stock Android will not connect to it. Rooting the phone and changing the WPA supplicant would solve the problem. Some Android phones will connect to ad-hoc without these changes, but most newer Android phones will not. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1591207

4. justinpot

Have you tried connecting any other device to this ad-hoc network? If a PC or Mac can connect we know the issue is Android-specific, or at least specific to your device. I'm thinking the problem is handing out IP addresses, though...

5. Jan Fritsch

I could be wrong but I believe it is a problem with the way Apple does encryption (simultaneous WPA/WPA2) and how Android handles encryption.

I have seen various Android devices failing to connect to AirPort Express, BaseStations or OS X Ad-hoc/Hotspots.

6. Athul Jayaram

I guess your MAC is highly secured and hence obtaining IP looks hard. Did your android mobile asked for your 5 long password to connect to your wifi?

Please give a try on http://www.connectify.me software to give wifi for your mobile and let me know if it works. This can solve your problem

perhaps because security set it to open to try if connection is enabled.

• shaurya

well perhaps if u cud help me how will i be able to do that

try to deactivate Enable Encryption