Why can’t I write or delete files on my phone’s SD card?
Question by kavish mantri /

I can’t write or delete files on my sd card. In my phone only the songs can be played, I can’t see images or download any app or can’t play videos. After formatting the SD card, it shows the same files on it which were present before formatting. This problem has arrived after I copied “.flv” and tried playing in my phone but it was incompatible. Is there any way to fix this problem

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Anish Parameshwaran

Back up your data onto your laptop or some other device, and then format the entire card using a third party app. Worst case scenario, you can go nuclear and just reformat the entire phone. If none of this works, I’d simply recommend that you either take the phone to your service store (Verizon, At&T, etc) and ask them for assistance or that you replace your SD card entirely.

• Kavish Mantri

I have tried formatting the card by various methods but nothing works. please suggest me some free third party formatting apps.

try low level format

– type diskpart in the cmd window
      – in diskpart type: list disk
      – type “select disk x”, x represents the disknumber in the left select the right one for your sd card.
      – type: clean. ALL partitions will now be removed from the card.
      – type: create partition primary. a new primary partition will be created as big as possible
      – type active if you want to set the partition active

Check whether your SD card is set to read only.Also,you may want to scan it with antivirus for any possible infection since it started to happen after copying the .flv file.

• Kavish Mantri

Please assist me to check that whether SD card is set to read only. I have scan it with the bitdefender and quick heal but nothing seems working

Right click on the SD card drive when you connect it to PC (i.e. going to My Computer –>SD card drive(F: or any other letter)),click on the properties to see whether read only is ticked or not.

• Imesh Chandrasiri

try to reset your phone to it’s factory defaults and if the phone is an android, select erase SD card too! then check the problem is still there!

• Kavish Mantri

I tried it but it didn’t work.

• Imesh Chandrasiri

if you have a card reader, just plug the SD into it and check whether you can read the files from the PC. if so, backup the data and do a low level format.

• maria

you can format it with free 3rd party partition wizard.