Why can’t I view or edit these Google Documents?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda February 22, 2013

I downloaded the Google Drive app for Windows 7 and some of the documents that I have are not able to be viewed or edited. When I try opening one them from my computer, I am directed to a webpage that says “Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.”

I own the file and have not shared them with anyone else. I also cannot find them on the browser version of Google Drive. These documents are extremely important so I need to access them, and soon. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you.

1. Anish Parameshwaran

The files may have been deleted from your Google Drive, which is why it isn't found in the browser. There may have been a glitch when the Google Drive app on your computer tried to sync with the Google Drive account and instead of deleted the files, it merely removed access, but kept the files there.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

So... what shoud I do in order to regain access to the files?

2. Imesh Chandrasiri

Did you transfer the ownership of the files that show the error. If you did so, you might not have rights to execute the document. please check on this matter. and further more you might have uploaded a corrupted file or the file might have gotten corrupted while in the upload process. if you have the original file, re-upload it & check for the issue!

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I own the files and have never given anyone else permission to access them. I find it hard to believe that the file was corrupt upon upload since I was able to access it before, maybe three weeks or ago.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

What else do you suggest?

email docs-debug@google.com with link they can be better help, perhaps it is a bug

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

They don't respond.

sorry for that

if you have extensions on your browser remove them

try to ask there
      http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/docs/ohIlftOUSiU
      they can guide you to to google support

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Would I have to remove all extensions? I also looked at the link. What part am I looking for exactly to find out how to fix this problem?

you have to remove all extensions one by one to see which one is causing the problem.
      You can also use another computer to log to your google doc to see if the problem do not occur there, so in this way you can be certain that is coming from your computer and browser.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I'm sorry but I'm afraid you don't understand. I have the .gdoc files on my computer. I am unable to open them because every time I click on them my browser opens and tells me that the file does not exist. Call me crazy but I don't see how an extension in my browser but have anything to do with a problem like this

if you have the files on your desktop, could you convert the files to pdf or microsoft word to see if they are correct?

Some documents stored as .gdoc files - cannot open them?
      http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/docs/WyiXqxr9IG8

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

the only files I have are the G doc files. I don't have anything more than those. I don't have word documents or PDFs. I've been trying to converted to PDF but nothing successful so far. and I have a question about the link you sent. I looked at the link I read all the posts and answers that people have posted on it, But I still can't find anything that answers my question. I'm simply trying to open files that don't seem to register with Google drive based on the fact that when I open them Google drive opens and tells me that they don't exist for some strange reason. I really hope I can have your help on this one

• Hovsep Avedissian

i thought perhaps uploading again, deleting then recovering from trash could fix things by google server?

i see you cannot convert to pdf or try to view with microsoft office
      http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1351556
      just to see if the files are not corrupted.

Common errors in Google Drive
      http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456903

Google Drive Known Issues
      http://support.google.com/drive/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=known_issues.cs

what is exactly the message you have?

What is the file extension, if any?
    Do you still have the originals?

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

The file extension is .gdoc and I don't have the original files.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Anything else that you can think of that will allow me to access the documents?

5. Saikat Basu

Check the Trash (Click on More option on the left). The file could still be there. If it is there, you can easily Restore it.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

There are no items in the trash.

It seems that the files might have been deleted or have not been uploaded properly. You might have to find the original files that you had when you uploaded them to google drive.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

They are not on my hard drive.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Do you have any other suggestions?