Why can’t I use my printer with my new router?

p1gsfly April 25, 2013

I purchased a new Linksys E-series wireless router and have it “bridged” with my Verizon router/modem. Now, my printer will not work. It is listed on Control Panel as the correct printer but I keep getting an error message. The message only says “Error” and the printer will not print.

First of all, make sure that both networked are truly bridged together. Find out the printer's IP address (either from the printer's test page, or from the router it's connected to), and "ping" it from the PC. For example, if the printer's IP address is 192.168.1.17, bring up the command line on the PC and type:
    ping 192.168.1.17
    Windows will send four "ping" packets and you should see all for echoed back by the printer very quickly (say, in less than 50ms or so). If not, there's a problem with your networking, possibly with the bridging itself.
    If the pinging worked, it could be an issue of packets being filtered by one router or the other. Check the log of both routers to see what happens when you send a print job.
    Finally, although not directly related to your router setup, PC/printer combinations will noly work with specific options such as LPR or RAW enabled. If you want to experiment with those, document your existing setup first, as otherwise you may get into a tangle and not be able to restore the original settings!

Clear the spooler and then unplug the printer and wait 15 seconds before plugging it back in. Try printing test page.

I'm assuming that you are using a wireless or network-connected printer, so is DHCP enabled on both routers? If so, you need to disable it on your new router. Do you know the IP address of the printer and can you ping it?

If the printer is hanging off of another computer on the network, can you use Widows Explorer to browse to the computer and see the printer on it? Can the local machine print to the device?

Are there documents stuck in the spooler (pending print jobs queued up)?