Why can’t I use my laptop’s Windows 8 product code with a Windows 8.1 installation ISO?

Anonymous December 12, 2013

I was following this article Overcome Windows 8.1 Upgrade Errors With A Legal ISO Download Overcome Windows 8.1 Upgrade Errors With A Legal ISO Download The Windows Store upgrade doesn't work for everyone. To avoid or fix issues, perform a fresh Windows 8.1 installation using Microsoft's ISO file download. You can even use the installation media on multiple computers. Read More to make a windows 8.1 ISO because I can’t upgrade from my windows 8 from the store.

When I try to write my Acer’s pre-installed windows 8 product key I get this message: “this product key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8”. Is there any workaround for this ? I need it badly because I’m trying for more than a month to upgrade from the store with no use.

1. Karthik Padmanabhan

So, when the Setup asks for a Key, Insert the corresponding key from this (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx) website to Install Windows 8.1 . Later follow the Steps below to reactivate Windows 8.1 with your Windows 8 Product Key.

It is easy to do that.

First goto Start then search cmd and open cmd as administrator.
    Then type " slmgr /upk " without the quotes.
    Then a pop-up will be shown that product key is uninstalled, Click OK.

Then type " slmgr /ipk *****-*****-*****-*****-***** " without quotes and replace * with your Windows 8 Product Key.
    Then you will get a pop-up saying that Product Key has been Installed.

Then type " slmgr /ato " without quotes.
    This should give you a message saying the Product is Activated. If you dont get that message try this command twice or thrice, it should work.

Then restart your computer and voila you have your Windows 8.1 activated with Windows 8 Product Key.

a. Open Search .
    b. click Settings and type troubleshooting in the text box.
    c. click Troubleshooting from the list of results.
    d. click Fix problems with Windows Update, follow the instructions

open up the Command Prompt as an Administrator and type the following commands
    1) net stop wuauserv hit enter
    2) net stop bits hit enter
    3) go to C:WindowsSoftware Distribution folder and delete all the files and folders inside

go back to back to the Command Prompt and type the following commands
    1) net start wuauserv hit enter
    2) net start bits hit enter

open the Windows Store and try to update

3. Ahmed D

@Hovsep A
    the windows is pre-installed in my laptop already

@Alan W
    I always keep getting errors in the installation phase like 0x80070003
    I tried every solution out there on the web and nothing worked

4. Alan W

Is there a known reason why you cannot upgrade through the Store?

• Justin P

Yeah, this is getting to the heart of the question. Perhaps his Internet connection at home can't handle it?

you have to first install windows 8 that was shipped with your laptop, activate, then upgrade

The product code certainly won't work (OEMs have different serial numbers allocated to them, which won't work with retail installers). I think your only avenue is to contact your laptop's support organisation to solve the Windows Store problem.