Why can’t I upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro?

Tom Kogwuonye March 24, 2013

I have an HP Envy DV7 laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed. I also purchased a Windows 8 pro upgrade and I have tried countless times to upgrade but the Intel pro wiressless software + Bluetooth refuse to uninstall according to the Windows 8 set up even after uninstalling.

I manage to bypass the manual uninstall of the Intel by choosing keep personnel files only and then going back and selecting keep personnel files and setting but after installing the windows 8 pro, found out that it is just another install of windows 8 and not windows 8 pro. So I decided to try using add features to your version of windows option.

I tried this twice and it gets to the place where it will restart my computer and says upgrading and configuring, please do not turn off your system but it always gets to 14% and stops saying unable to upgrade, reverting to previous windows.

1. Faishal Akbar

How about fresh install? some people use that way for the alternative of failed upgrading process. Install windows 8 pro (not upgrade),Get The drivers, install drivers, Problem Solved!

• Tom Kogwuonye

Thanks guys. I finally resolved it. I used the add features to your version of windows which I did before but did not work due to the fact that whatever was download was corrupt because my network seems slow then. Now it was fast and I did upgrade efficiently so it has been resolved. THANKS!!!

2. Edwin Morales

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings .

Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do the following:
    If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.

Enter your product key and click Next.

Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features

• Tom Kogwuonye

3. Edwin Morales

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.

2.Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings .

3.Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following:

Enter your product key and click Next.

4. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.
    Hope it works!

• Tom Kogwuonye

I already did this. Like I said it did not work. After adding the features it gets to the place where it will say upgrading and adding feature and then gets stuck at 14%. This is the problem, from that point it reverts to the previous windows saying error in upgrading.

Now, depending on how brave you feel. You could create a new partition and install to that. Install it as a fresh install (even though its an upgrade) but dont enter the key when asked. Do that AFTER the install and updates. In case you are wondering, I did this with my upgrade version of Win 8.
    What you will have is a dual boot system, if everything goes according to plan, save, copy etc any data you wish to keep then delete the partition with the original version on.

Worked for me!

5. Rakesh Mishra

there might be some error in the registory

• Tom Kogwuonye

6. Joel Thomas

try windows help from official windows site

• Tom Kogwuonye

No solution?

7. Nevzat A

I think this might help you : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03557439&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_s-001_title_r0004&lc=en&product=5309493

It's about hanging Windows Update but it might also be related to your case. Just try and let us know if it solved your problem too.

• Tom Kogwuonye

It is not about windows update but upgrading to windows 8 pro using the add features option. It does not pass the particular place I said.

• Nevzat A

The symptoms look similar, the problem described there is about hanging installer at 13-15%, and there is a fix for it from Microsoft, so I thought you might try the mentioned fix to see if it helps.

• Tom Kogwuonye

Nothing happened. Tried it same issue.

• Nevzat A

you need to analyse the installation log file and event logs to see any details about the error : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824819.aspx

Windows 8 Upgrade Paths
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj203353.aspx

Moving from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro
    http://www.zdnet.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-windows-8-upgrades-faq-part-2_p2-7000008775/
    i think you are not eligible for the discount price if you have a pc with wWindows 8 you nedd to purchase the full pack Windows 8 pro.

go to the Metro Start Screen, search for "add features", enter the windows 8 pro key!

• Tom Kogwuonye

I have already done that by entering the windows 8 product key using add more features to your version of windows. And it gets to the place where it will restart my computer and says upgrading and configuring, please do not turn off your system but it always gets to 14% and stops saying unable to upgrade, reverting to previous windows. Still not resolved. But if I may ask, why is it so hard to uninstall the intel pro wireless software if I want to upgrade directly from the copy of windows 8 pro I purchased?

have you first tried to upgrade intel pro wireless driver? this can fix compatibility issues

try this microsoft way
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Unable to uninstall Intel PROSet/Wireless Wifi Software
      http://communities.intel.com/thread/32877

Uninstall Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software
      http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030416.htm

• Tom Kogwuonye

• randy

I had the same issue on 2 new laptops I was configuring for friends. Just allowed windows to install all of the updates win 8 needed then did the pro upgrade. worked the same on both of them. no issues after letting it update.