Why can’t I sign in to MakeUseOf using the Chrome browser?

Ronald Moore May 6, 2013

I am able to sign in to MakeUseOf in Internet Explorer but not in the Chrome browser. When I click on Register or Login nothing happens in Chrome. Any suggestions?

1. MakeUseOf TechGuy

In that case, please ensure you have all third party cookies enabled in Chrome settings. If anything is being blocked, you would be unable to login.

2. DalSan M

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome? I use a couple of browsers just for the rain you are talking about. I use Comodo Dragon (more secure Chrome variant) fur mist of my browsing and Comodo Ice Dragon (more secure Firefox variant) for sites like this one to make sure I can use the extensions and browser I like and prefer must of the time and have a way to ensure proper login into MUO and other sites. If you like Chrome and want to log into MUO, try Comodo Dragon and use Chrome for everything else (both are Chrome browsers, but you can use each one separately). If you do not want to install yet another browser, then IE should work out fine for use on MUO.

3. MakeUseOf TechGuy

"Register or Login" takes you to a page explaining how to login: use the buttons in the top left (Facebook, Twitter, Google, MSN, Yahoo) to authenticate with an existing account. We don't offer email/password login.

• Ronald Moore

Thanks to everyone for you help. I guess I will just have to sign using internet explorer. Not going to spend anymore time on this.

It could be due to your privacy settings. Go into Settings, click "show advanced settings" and click [Content Settings] in the "Privacy" section. Untick "Block third-party cookies and site data" and close the Settings tab.

5. Manide

Open makeuseof.com in an incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N) and log in. If works, it's about one or more of your extensions. Don't run those extensions on makeuseof.com.

• Ronald Moore

I tried it in incognito mode...but no luck.

6. rajeshmetla

If you have Ghostery or abine DNTme or similar add ons enabled you won't be able to use the banner that has register/sign in. Disable all the tracking blocking add ons or allow MUO in those add ons. Hope it solves your problem!!

With problems relating to a browser the first thing I would do is clear the cache then try again. If still no luck then disable all your addons and extensions then try again. If it works then, enable your addons one by one until you find the offending addon. If it dosnt work create a new profile and try again.

I this problem in Chrome too once, though actually it was not a Chrome issue. I was an extension I installed, which was blocking the plugins. After, uninstalling it, the issue was resolved. Also, once in a while, it is a good idea to remove all history and cache from Chrome.

• Ronald Moore

Cleared history and cache...same result. I will look at disabling any plugins tomorrow.

9. tbrookes

First thing we must ask is do you have any plugins enabled? Particularly ghostery/no script or the like? This is always the first step we take in diagnosing a problem as we have had a lot of problems that were solved by disabling such extensions.

You can find out what's running on your browser by opening Chrome and going to chrome://extensions and having a look in there. If possible try disabling all and seeing if you can still login. If you can then you can re-enable them one by one (starting with the most innocuous things first) till you spot a problem.

Of course if you have no plugins installed then that's very strange and we will definitely be interested in getting to the bottom of it.

• Ronald Moore

I had five extensions enabled. I disabled all of them, closed and restarted Chrome. I went to MakeUseOf and tried to login...but the problem did not go away. Next I went into my Chrome settings and removed all MakeUseOf cookies, restarted the Chrome browser, tried to login again but no luck.

In that case, check firewall settings and any software program that you recently installed, which is causing such mis-behavior.

Sorry, wrong advice as I later noticed that you can login via IE, so cannot be any firewall or some software installed issue. Can you uninstall and try a fresh install of Google Chrome without any extra addon?

• Tim Brookes

Yeah I agree with Rajaa, perhaps a fresh install of Chrome would solve your issues?

I'm not sure what's causing the problem, I can login fine using the latest stable Chrome on OS X and I know a lot of our readers and staff use Chrome and have no problems.