Why can’t I set permissions in Windows XP while in safe mode?

Brian Lawrence February 18, 2013

I am using Windows XP. I have recently run into a problem after trying to set my permissions in safe-mode, never had this problem before. After changing my settings so that I would have full control on all partitions and drives I’m not able to:

1] copy/paste
2] drag/drop
3] Start services in services.msc (Many stopped that were running)
4] Minimized items no longer show in selected/taskbar
5] Windows Installer does not function
6] System restore will not run

I can still surf and do main tasks, the above are what I have that don’t run the way they did.

Sorry but your post is a little confusing. Do you mean you cannot perform any of the tasks listed above in Safe mode or running normally?

I would reistate the original settings for your drives/partitions and start again.

Install Rizone Take Ownership Shell Extension
    right click on the hard drive and choose Take Ownership, reboot if necessary, see if you can perform the mentioned process like copy/paste,..

Completely Repair Windows XP Without Losing Files

• Silhoutte james

I want to set permissions on a folder so that my son does not get in. I
      right click on the folder and go to sharing. However, the box to make it private is greyed out. I have three drives on therre and get the same problem with all three. The folder is on a different drive to my user account. I thought it might be because the folder and the account were on different drives but it doesn't seem to be. I can't put the folder onto my C drive as there is no more room left on it. Can anyone help? I am running XP Professional and not Home.