Why can’t I see video on VLC when I can hear audio very clearly?

Muhammad Faisal Wahab Khan June 20, 2013

Hello MUO team,

I am having problem while playing .mov file on VLC player. All other videos are playing fine, but it’s just one video course I can’t play.

It’s very laggy and stops when I play it in Windows Media Player Classic and does nothing in Real Player as well. I see a white screen and hear audio, but I can’t see the video.

I tried all other methods listed on Google, but none worked. So please can you help me out?

vlc probably support the video codec for that video file.

2. DalSan M

The only thing I can suggest since it seems the video is the issue (other than using QuickTime) is to use Format Factory to convert the video into a different format. It may help to view some of the video, but there may be stuttering, that is if it even can be converted. I've had similar issues with mp4 files that were recorded from a cell phone. It played better after converting, but the video still stuttered and sometimes froze while the audio played fine. With this type of issue, not much can help because it was an encoding issue by the device that created the video.

perhaps to install codec like klite mega pack codec
    http://codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

• Faisal Khan

i already have that and i can see video but it's lagging and same goes for sound as well. Thanks for replying :)

perhaps to try with shark007 codec
      http://shark007.net/

to check with another media player like Media Player Classic
      http://www.filehippo.com/fr/download_media_player_classic/

• Oron Joffe

ha14, VLC only uses its own codecs, and cannot be extended. Of course, adding a codec may still work with Windows Media Player.

quite right just to check if the mov can be played by another media player or the file itself is corrupted or have restrictions somehow

I'm with Tina on this. It's possible that the video is either corrupt. Check to see if other people have been able to watch it, and perhaps download it again.

5. Tina Sieber

Can you see other videos of the .mov file format? Maybe the issue is with the video, not with your player.

Try the original Apple QuickTime player or QuickTime Alternative to playback .mov files.

• Justin Pot

Yeah, this happens for me in VLC too – specifically for the MOV files used by iMovie. There doesn't seem to be a fix, other than using QuickTime. Sorry.

• Faisal Khan

Thanks tina you must a techno goddess :) you just solved my problem in a flash. Thanks again

• Tina Sieber

Glad I could help, Faisal! :)