Why can’t I see friends online in Facebook Messenger?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda May 8, 2013

So I have the Facebook Messenger app for Windows, and online contacts are not showing up.

In fact, no contacts are showing up. What I see in the place they would be in, is something that says “MORE FRIENDS” and “OFFLINE FRIENDS”. Then it says “These friends can’t see you on chat. Edit”. When I hit “Edit” another menu opens up and displays options “Turn on chat for all friends except…”, “Turn on chat for only some friends…”, and “Turn off chat”.

Assuming I want to be seen online on Facebook, I selected the first option, “Turn on chat for all friends except…” and I left the list of exceptions blank.

When I hit “Save”, I look back at the main menu of the Facebook app, noticing that nothing seems to have been reconfigured. Perplexed, I closed the app via right-clicking the app’s system tray icon, and then I clicked “Exit”.

After restarting the app, I get the same result and same problem I had last time it was open. Please help.

Probably has to do something with the privacy settings of your Facebook profile and the same settings will apply in messenger also. Tinker around a bit with it and see if the same resolves the issue for you or not. If not go to the end of the page of the link I am providing and report the issue with Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/help/110332782450803/ . Also checkout the bugs and known issues tab.