Why can’t I receive emails from external domains on an internal domain?
Question by Kyle MacDonald /

I am running Zimbra 8.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 inside a virtual machine which runs on Windows 7 Professional. I have a domain “example.com” running on it using DNSMasq. I can’t receive email from either the internal domain, usera@example.com can’t receive userb@example.com’s email, or from external domains like GMail or Yahoo, usera@example.com doesn’t receive userb@gmail.com. But however I can send mail to an external domain like GMail or Yahoo, usera@example.com to usera@gmail.com, and that is successful.

Here is what I have done so far:
1. I edited my host file on Windows to tell that there is a domain at this internal IP address and domain is not out on the internet.
2. Replying to a successfully sent email back to the sender to see what errors I would receive.
3. Checked to make sure all records are correctly setup.
4. All services on Zimbra are working and running.

I believe my error lies within either not having the proper records in line with MX records and such OR needing to have my host see my internal domain differently. But I am still very new to all this so it may be something I have not thought about yet.

I know logs would be helpful to assist with helping me, please let me know which logs I need to provide.

Thank you in advance everyone who helps me out.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Rohit Pandey

follow below discussion…….

• Amit Roychowdhury

First you should try your domain MX is ok or not…

tool web : http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

if its successful then try to look at your internet connection.

• Rakesh Mishra

check ur firewall configuration

• Freud Iomc

Does example.com resolve? The domain has to have a world known address to resolve. Try http://www.dnsdynamic.org/.

• Jan Fritsch

I agree with Rob but I’ll give it a try~

In (2) you say the domain is not out on the internet but in (3) you state you setup all your records. So the question is whether the domain you setup resolves DNS and more importantly has an MX record available via the internet.
    If that’s not the case it’s obvious that you can’t receive an email from e.g. Gmail or Yahoo on your server.

Outgoing mail will work with or without DNS+MX as the receiving end (e.g. Gmail) has valid DNS entries and therefor your SMTP can contact the receiving server. Worst case usually is that your email considered spam as you may be missing the PTR record or EHLO header.

As for mails from “usera” to “userb” it is either an DNS or configuration issue. If the SMTP server doesn’t recognize the user being local it will again ask for the MX record which should be properly setup.

For configuration issues I can’t give you much help as I’v never worked with Zimbra.

• Rob Hindle

You may get lucky here but I expect the question is a bit too specific and you would stand a better chance of useful input if you can ask on DNSMasq/Zimbra/Linux forums.