Why can’t I log in to Skype?
Question by Rajaa Chowdhury /

I sent this mail to the Skpe Support team (support@skype.net)

________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Skype Support Team,

Day before yesterday I have installed Skype on my Windows 7 64 Bit desktop and created my Skype account using Microsoft Live log in @outlook.com. It created the profile and generated the Skype name live:********* and never prompted me to enter any password for Skype. In Windows 7 Skype client, I am logging in with the Microsoft Live log in and password.

Today I have installed Skype for Android and tried to log in with my outlook.com email ID and password, which it did not recognize Then I tried the Skype username with my outlook.com password, and faced the same problem. I do not have any Skype password as such. I tried to reset the password, but it prompts for the old Skype password, which I do not have. Then I sent forgotten password link mail to my registered email @outlook.com, but it does neither accept the link henceforth and neither accept the token manually when entered and says it is unrecognized. I tried this within 2 minutes of receiving the mail (well within the 6 hour time limit). Therefore I am not being able to log in into my Skype for Android. Kindly suggest and help!!!

I am also not being able to use the Community forum or send email through support page, for the same reason.

With Warm Regards,

Raja Chowdhury

Auto-generated reply of Skype Support

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately this email address is no longer in use.

Please follow these steps to contact us:
1. Visit our support website at: http://support.skype.com/
2. Please try to find an answer to your question first by searching our Knowledge Base.
3. If you do not find an answer, click “Get more help” in the far-right column
4. Sign-in using your Skype account username and password
5. Select Email Support
6. Fill out our form with as much information as possible and click the “Send Support Request” button at the end.

We will get back to you as soon as possible; a reply may take up to 24 hours.

We look forward to helping you enjoy using Skype!

Now I cannot get into this support page as it is not accepting my Windows Live Login and I do not know the Skype password as already mentioned (it must also have been auto-generated like the Skype name). Kindly suggest, what do I do in such situation. Please Help!!

Can you believe that I went through so much pain and after I created the new ID, within two days Skype 3.0 for Android was released, which integrates Windows Live ID on Skype for Android. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…………………………

Skype do not have telephonic support, clearly mentioned at their support page at their official website. :(

Thanks everybody for trying to help me, though I have not really got a specific answer to my problem. I have decided not to spend too much time on trying to resolve this problem and have now simply created another Skype profile the simple straight-forward way without using any Windows Live or Facebook ID and stuff. I guess Skype and Microsoft integration is not yet evolved yet and Skype really cannot handle Open IDs too well. So marking this question as resolved as of now.

• Guru

This is a joke. Skype for android really does not accept microsoft live login…

• Collin Riviello

I have never seen a login with live option on android for skype. so guru is probably right.

Read the question carefully, I did try the Skype name also but as I have already mentioned how I created my Skype Profile with Windows Live log in, so I only have the Windows Live password to login to Skype. Never was prompted or had a Skype password.

If you read the article in the link below,it might answer your issue partially –

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/14/skype-disables-password-reset-page-email-based-security/

The update also states that Skype is doing best to combat this issue.

Hmmm………. this may be the answer to why it is not accepting the forgotten password token, however they say that they have fixed it. :(

if you cannot contact them by email to fix problem, perhaps to send regular mail via post office.

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type %appdata%, press Enter. The Windows File Explorer will popup. Locate there Skype folder, rename it to something different, like. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

or
    —create a shortcut on the desktop and give the name
    “C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe” /legacylogin
    —click next and name it to Skype
    —launch it
    The extra /legacylogin switch in the shortcut forces Skype to use the “old” login window, which was not dependent on Internet Explorer. some other functions may still not be available

1) Find the Skype installation folder.
    2) Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). 3) Right click on the newly created shortcut, select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: “C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe”.
    3) Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your cursor one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. T

Skype login requires Internet Explorer being able to access JavaScript and execute ActiveX
    Reset Internet Explorer 9 settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings-in-Internet-Explorer-9

I do not have any problem with the Windows client and I am log in it with my Windows Live ID and password and it works fine. I created the Skype profile with my Windows Live ID, so never asked me about any Skype password and therefore I do not have one and therefore the problem being faced and the dilemma.

• Kiril Vasilev

What version of Skype do you use?

Does the client versions really related to the problem. Anyways, I am using the latest client in both windows and android.