Why can’t I format my Hackintosh’s Windows partition to install OS X?

Marabhatina M August 6, 2013

I have found out my PC is compatible with Mac OS X Mountain Lion. I have tried Niresh’s OS X method because of not having an 8GB pendrive around. I have burned the Niresh OS X .ISO to DVD and booted through it. Everything went fine, I have reached language selection step.

After that I am trying to format my hard drive with “Disk Utility” and format as Mac OS X Extended (Journled) but when I click on erase it is showing me an error that it “Couldn’t format a Windows file system”. I have already installed Windows 7 and now I want to try OS X – so what am I doing wrong? How can I install it?

how about formatting with a live cd then try to install Niresh’s OS X

Do you want to install it parallel (dual-boot) or do you want to replace Windows?

If you want to replace it I suggestion using the "Partition" tab within Disk Utility then select 1 Partition. HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled) should be selected by default and you can give it whatever name pleases you.

At the bottom is an Options button which allows you to select the partition scheme. I am not familiar with Niresh OS X so you will have to look at the instructions whether the partition map should be GUID or MBR.

If you only want Mac OS X on the system, you need to repartition the disk before trying to format it. If there is not enough unallocated space on the hard disk to create the necessary partition(s) for OS X, the entire operation will fail. If you no longer want Windows on the system, you can repartition the entire disk, deleting the existing Windows partition. Just select the Partition option in Disk Utility.