Why can’t I download email on my iPad when I know the settings are correct?

Robert Harrison January 10, 2013

I can download email without any problem on my iPhone but when I set up my email account (POP3) on my iPad with exactly the same settings as my iPhone, I am unable to download email. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Robert, when you say "unable to download" - do you get any errors? What are they?

2. Jan Fritsch

Do you retrieve emails on the iPhone automatically or only manually when you open the Mail app?

POP access is generally restricted to a single connection because otherwise one client could try to delete emails or mark them as downloaded while the other one is retrieving them. Ultimately it would lead to a inconsistent or corrupt mailbox index.

My first suggestion would be to put your iPhone into Airplane Mode or turn it off all together and then try to retrieve emails on your iPad.

If that works the best thing you can do is set email retrieval within the iOS settings to manual. This way the clients will only make connection when you actually open the Mail app and won't conflict with each other.
    If you do want automatic retrieval on both clients it's suggested to switch to IMAP or set different retrieval intervals and hope they don't try at the same time too often.

• Tina Leeson

Thanks for the solution but can you tell me how am I supposed to retrieve my emails if the iPad is off, do you mean reset it then turn back on and try doing it again ? My issue is exactly the same one but for a Samsung Galaxy Tab.