Why can’t I connect USB devices to my HP 6000 small form factor PC?

Larry Karafa May 27, 2013

my HP 6000 Pro SSF-desktop has problems with USB, when I try to connect a mouse or keyboard, nothing happens; the ports never show as connected. What can I do?

Larry, having read Jim's suggestion and your response (to him, I presume), it sounds like this may be a power problem rather than USB as such. Every USB port should provide up to 500mA current, and some devices use nearly as much (or ocassionally, even exceed that). If your PC's power supply is "tired", it may not supply quite enough juice to some or all the ports, and this would result in unpredictable results, including not recognising the ports.

Diagnostics: First of all, go into the Device Manager and check the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section. Each or your controllers should be shown there separately. Normally, there's one controller for every pair of USB sockets, but you can look up your motherboard's manual to check. If all the controllers are listed, then it's almost certainly a matter of power. Replace your power supply and try again.

Workarounds: It may be difficult to get another power supply, but it's worth it, since once their performance starts degrading, they're on the way to failing altogether. At any rate, if not all the controllers show up, or if you can't replace the PSU, you can either install a USB expansion card, if you can fit one to your PC, or use a mains-powered hub, and plug it into the working USB socket at the back. Get a decent quality hub, with a power supply of at least 2A, so you can plug in at least 4 devices into it. Good luck!

Does this problem occur using both rear and front panel USB ports? I have had several HP desktops where the solder joint between front panel circuit board and port has failed. Re-soldering fixed the connection problem.

Check your BIOS to see if USB controllers are recognised. If not, your motherboard is probably a goner (although you could try to flash the BIOS as ha14 suggests).

flash bios or reset if this can be done
    also try to install driver/windows updates if are there

The first basic check is to see if the USB ports are alive at all or not. If check if the usb ports are connected to the motherboard or not. If no, then connect it or proceed to next what I am saying. Probably you can this step first also.If you are in Category view in the Control Panel, go to Hardware and Sounds and then click on device manager under Devices and printers. Once Device Manager opens, you will see Universal Serial Bus Controllers at the bottom. Click on the arrow in front of it it and see if there are any red or yellow bang below in any of the entries for USB Universal Host Controllers, USB Root Hub or USB Composite device. Before you proceed, disconnect any USB device connected. Now if you see any bangs before USB Composite Device, then probably the device is not getting sensed properly and the appropriate drivers are not getting installed. Stay connected to the internet and right click on it and try Update Driver Software. However if you see any bangs before USB Universal Host Controllers or USB Root Hub, right click and uninstall them and restart your computer and wait for it to reinstall those. I was facing this problem once, what I did was to uninstall all the USB Universal Host Controllers and USB Root Hub, then restarted the computer and let it build the whole list afresh. It resolved my problem. Also check the USB version of the port. USB2 or 3 should not have problem in supplying enough power to the devices, but USB 1.1 sometimes may not be adequate to provide enough power to the modern devices. However, as I see you are using Windows 7 Pro computer, I guess it is pretty modern and the least it should have is a USB 2 port.