Why can’t I access Windows 8 on one partition after reinstalling Windows 7 on another?

Thegreatvinay April 1, 2013

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 installed alongside it. I am not getting any start up screen options after the reinstallation of Windows 7 on my C: drive. The contents and OS files as are there on the D: drive.

Even msconfig doesn’t have any option for selecting this other partition at boot. I don’t want to install Windows 8 again but I just want to get into because I have some important data and programs I need to access.

So what did I do and how can I fix it now and in the future?

1. Chinmay Sarupria

1) Before the boot screen appears, keep tapping space bar.
    2) Boot Manager will appear.
    3) Select Windows 8 from arrow key and hit enter.

on windows 8
    1) press winkey+x then choose run and type msconfig
    2)click on boot tab
    3)uncheck "No GUI Boot" option
    4) Apply and reboot.

1.Start from the Windows 8 installation medium.
    2.Choose your keyboard settings if required
    3.Hit Shift+F10 to enter the command prompt.
    4.TYpe bootrec /fixmbr, hit enter to update the main boot record just to be sure, partitions will remain.
    5.Type bootrec /fixboot, hit enter to update the boot sector of the system partition.
    6.Type bootrec /scanos, hit enter to add known OSes to the boot configuration data.

• Thegreatvinay

Happy to see you ha14.
      I can get into windows 7 but I cant get into windows 8 which is on D: .
      I have used VirtualBDC and had the menu on boot loader but it said the signature is invalid and you cant get into it anymore.

is there any error code and the full message?

1) boot to BIOS by clicking on F keys (depending your pc F key can be different like F8; F6...)
      2) Try to find a menu labeled “Security” or “Security Settings.” or “UEFI Boot” head to “Secure boot configuration" Find “Secure boot” or “UEFI Boot” and disable.
      3) Restart to see if you can get the boot to windows 8
      Windows 8 with Secure Boot enabled may no longer boot after installing new hardware
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2800988

There is a detailed discussion on the boot loader here: http://www.tweakhound.com/2012/11/13/how-to-fix-the-windows-bootloader/

Reinstalling Win7 has overwritten at least part of the Win8 boot information that is stored on a hidden system partition on your hard drive. You should be able to use your Win8 bootable media and select the Startup Repair option to have it rewrite the necessary files to this partition to boot Win8 (and it should not mess up the Win7 portion).