Why can’t I access my flash drive after updating Linux?

Maia Ritchie April 28, 2013

Recently an update of Linux was installed on my computer. Before the update, I was able to access the contents of my 8GB Dane-Elec flash drive just fine. Now, though, it won’t let me in for some reason! I keep getting an error message telling me that I don’t have permission to access the files. My brother tried to open it through the Terminal, but still nothing. I don’t understand what the problem is! Does it have something to do with the update?

1. Donald S

Try manually mounting the device like ha14 suggested. There is a way to automount drives, here's one on how to mount a ntfs filing system drive:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=785263

2. Vishal Srivastava

Does it get mounted? Is it recognized or not? Until Ubuntu puts out the word that it's not compatible with your Hardware, we'll have to treat it as a problem with your hardware.

• Maia R

I think it does. I see "USB DISK" listed under Devices in my Home folder, but it's basically just there. I can't access it directly.

What filesystem are you using on the flash drive?

• dragonmouth

Why should that matter? Unless Canonical decomitted support for that particular file type, which is unlikely since USB drives are mostly FAT32 or NTFS. Sounds to me like a permission was reset somehow during the update.

Most flash drives don't use NTFS unless the user has reformatted it. They tend to use FAT, FAT32 or exFAT depending upon the capacity of the device. If the device is formatted with FAT or FAT32, permissions are not the problem (there are no ACLs for those filesystems) so we would need to be looking elsewhere as it cannot be permissions on the files themselves.