Why can my wife’s PC not connect to our wireless router if there is a password and why does it not see the 5 G band?

Herman Carmichael Harsh January 18, 2013

I can connect her PC, but only if the password is disabled. My Mac connects to both bands 3 and 5 G, but her’s will not find the 5 G

1. Adam Basha

Your wife's PC doesn't have a Wireless Card supporting 5G. Install that card and you will be able to connect.

a. Click on Start, in the start search box type devmgmt.msc and press enter.This will open device manager.
    b. In the device manager window, expand Network adapter.
    c. Right click on the Wireless card in the device manager and click on Properties.
    d. Make sure its set to 5.0 Ghz if not change it to 5.0 Ghz.
    e. Click on apply and ok.
    f. Close the device manager and restart the computer and check if it works.

check your router for the type of password used like wpa, wep and check your wife's pc to see what type of password was selected before entering the password.

4. Jan Fritsch

As for the password it was already answered. It is most likely an incompatibility with the encryption set on the router.

As for the 5G band I would say
    (a) the card doesn't support the 5G band
    (b) some adapters and/or drivers just don't show or want to connect to the 5G band if there is another 2,4G network broadcasted on the router
    (c) the WiFI adapter is not properly installed

Try setting your router to 5G only and disable the 2.4G band. If your wifes PC still won't find the 5G try (re-)installing a current driver for the adapter.

• Paul Pruitt

The more likely answer I think is the wife's WiFI adapter is an older one which only picks up 3G not 5G.

• muotechguy

There's no such thing as 3G wifi , so that would be difficult.

5. Adrian Rea

It may be that the encryption available for your wifes computer is not set correctly or not available. Like TKIP/AES WEP and WPA, Check the settings, it may well be this but the wifi port, if old may not have some of the newer standards.

• Paul Pruitt

I agree. Some older wireless cards don't play well with WPA or WPA2. Like I haven't been able to get a 2 year old MacBook Air to work with WPA2 for some reason.

• Paul Pruitt

Sorry I didn't know what 5G was. I looked it up. It's the next class of WiFi technology after 802.11n, which might be knows as 4G, with 3G referring to the old school 802.11g. It's actually the specification 802.11ac and 5G is the nickname.

It looks like she needs a WiFi card or "client" that specifically picks up 5G as opposed to 802.11g or 802.11n.

As for only being able to connect her when there is no password, I guess the most modern WiFi cards like the one apparently in your Mac, can pick up 3G, 4G and 5G. Her PC card or WiFi adapter maybe only can pick up the 3G signal. 3G or 802.11g signals don't travel as far as 4G and probably 5G travels the farthest.

This Yahoo answer by someone who appears to have credentials reports that WPA encryption does not weaken the signal but makes it "unstable" whatever that means and less apt to connect permanently I gather: http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100308215409AAYckiP.

When 802.11g first came out, I remember having a similar experience that turning on encryption prevented me from picking up the signal in some parts of my house. We can use some expert testimony here though by someone who understands the subject better.

The answer would seem to be just purchasing a USB or internal PCI 5G WiFi card for her PC and connecting with that. They should not be that expensive. For instance the Netgear A6200 USB adapter costs about $70.

You may also be able to get away with buying a 802.11n adapter which would be much cheaper but make sure that is not what you already have in the PC. In other words from what you are saying, her PC currently only has a "3G" 802.11g WiFi adapter. Look in the Device Manager under Network adapters to see if she already has a 802.11g or 802.11n device.

• muotechguy

It refers to 5GHz wifi band. The alternative , older standard, was 2.4GHz. 3G is a mobile data network, and nothing to do with Wifi.