Why can my business send email in bulk through our own mail server?

Lisa Hale April 16, 2013

Hello, I work for a little company and we have fallen into the trend of “email campaigns” a.k.a Junk mail. The company has gotten a customer list from our internet site, and paid a good piece for modification of a emailer program. The trouble is, our list has near 4,000 individuals on it and expanding. With gmail only enabling 100 e-mails per account through on SMTP and I am on a tight spending plan so I cant hire anybody else. I was considering doing a dedicated mail server off of the website server we have running in the workplace. Is it possible? Yo make e-mails by yourself server, then send it with your very own SMTP? If it is, exactly what software would I require and is if low cost or complimentary at least. We run a WAMP server, i set it up just for information, however i could change it to lamp or whatever if need be. Thank you for your time and your responses

1. Rob H

Why not look at something like Mailchimp, it probably offers more useful features than an in-house system with minimal hassle and inexpensive - with pricing schemes to cover most requirements (i.e. you don't have to sign up for a monthly account - just pay for what you use - but if you are using it a lot their monthly schemes may be more economic).
    Because they have rules to ensure quality lists and mailings (like no purchased lists of people who never heard of you) they claim to have agreements with major spam filtering services with the result that their successful delivery rates are higher.

2. Athul Jayaram

gmail doesn't allow spamming and so they have limited their emails about 100 per day and bulk emailing is considered as spamming

I would recommend you signup with Aweber for bulk email sending http://aweber.com/?417850

Because you are planning on using it for marketing, you should check out GroupMail. It can handle pretty much everything you need to run email campaigns including bounce tracking, double opt-ins, opt-outs, unsubscribes, autoresponders, etc. It also completely bypasses any external SMTP servers so you don't need to worry about any kind of limits imposed by Google or your ISP. They have several editions, but you would need either their Business ($350) or Marketing Pack ($700) for your needs. I have played with their free edition and found it easy to set up, configure and use.

If you only want an SMTP server to use with another emailer, you should look into hMailServer. It is a free SMTP server for Windows so it would work on your WAMP server.