Why can Indians not participate in Giveaways where the prize is a physical item?

Saumyakant Sahoo December 8, 2012

As stated in the Giveaway rules, why are Indians not allowed to participate in such Giveaways where there are numerous tech enthusiasts?

1. Roomy Naqvy

This simply happens due to the unpredictability of customs/tax rules as also the bad experience of some shippers to new destinations. Sometimes, it is also because of mere fright at shipping to a new place. But with the passage of time, this will change slowly. Just patience. That's it.

2. Sri Vastav Reddy

I don't know that..
    looks like i have to start reading T&C..!!!!

3. Qin Tang

Good question.

4. James Hudson

good question

5. salim benhouhou

you can buy a US address at http://goo.gl/Y2XLE and when you buy something on the internet give them that address and then myus company will redirect the package that you bought to your real address in India .(it costs only 10 dollars)

Awesome alternative, Salim. Thank you for sharing it!

• salim benhouhou

you are welcome Tina

• Saumyakanta Sahoo

ITs awesome.....I'll give it a try..

yap that's not funny sometime prizes are very tasty and not having chances to participate will leave us with bad taste.

7. Douglas Mutay

Good question. And adequate answer from MUO staff. Thanks

8. Jackson Chung

There are giveaways, then there is also Rewards. You only need to spend 25 points to participate in a GIVEAWAY and enter the drawing. As for REWARDS, you earn the required amount of points to redeem the item. I hope the distinction between the two is clear.

We introduced a list of restricted countries to our giveaway T&C page due to the unpredictable nature of their tax/custom laws and deliverability. We cannot be responsible for unforeseen taxes imposed on giveaway winners from those countries, and we wouldn't want the winners to be unexpectedly burdened by them as well. So the new rule works out for both parties. However, if you're from one of the restricted countries, you may still participate in giveaways if you provide a US shipping address if you're chosen as the winner. You will then be responsible for shipping to your respective country and the taxes which may be imposed upon you.

9. Ashwin Ramesh

It is mentioned here Rajaa.. http://www.makeuseof.com/official-giveaway-rules/

But I received a Lacie CooKey from MUO :)

• Ashwin Ramesh

But I guess you are referring to their Laptops/iPhones/Keyboard giveaways. Maybe something to do with Customs handling them? Not sure though. Someone from the MUO team can clarify this.

• Jackson Chung

You're exactly right, Ashwin.

I hope you're enjoying your CooKey!

Oops, I also had this question in mind. :P

BTW, where did you get to see this rule? Can you kindly provide me the link.