Why can I not update the software on my Samsung Galaxy SII?

Moosa Amj May 12, 2013

Im tryin to update software on to my Samsung Galaxy SII. Every time I try to, it will display GT-I9100 does not support initialising.

Plz help!

First backup all your data on Samsung Kies or by other method, also backup the contacts too in Samsung Kies and Google. Then do a factory reset, under settings -> Backup and reset -> Factory data reset. Also under the same section backup my data should be ticked and the backup account should be a gmail account and Automatic restore should also be ticked. After factory reset, then in the fresh phone, have internet connectivity and then go to settings -> about device / phone -> software update and do the firmware update. after update is done to the latest firmware of S2, then connect to Kies and Goggle and restore back all your data. Should work.

If it is the first time you are setting up Google backup, allow it time to sync to take the backup in Google.

• Fatima

I just bought a used s2 for my friend, trying to update software, as in my phone I just had to press Software Update and everything was done, when I am doing it at her phone, its saying No upgrade available. It has android 4.0.4 version . How to upgrade it safely ?

Fatima,

I think the latest version of official firmware update that is available for the Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 is JellyBean 4.1.2 update, which Samsung started rolling out in March onwards in a phased manner. Sometimes, over the air update, gives latest update messages (I dunno why), I also faced the same once with my phone. What I suggest is install Samsung Kies on your computer with internet connected and then plug the phone via the USB cable provided and see if Samsung Kies suggest any new updates or not. If it does, update it via Kies. Kindly give me an update of what happened. :)

2. DalSan M

Are you trying to update through the phone or the computer? Sometimes updating only works through Samsung's Kies or Kies Mini software. This will tell you more about Kies Mini: http://android.sc/download-kies-mini-to-update-samsung-phone/ and it has a download link.

you can try hard reset (first do backup of important files) then update again

4. Erez Zukerman

Could you share a screenshot to the error you're getting?

Are you using a stock ROM or is it a custom ROM you've flashed?