Why can I not see the contents of my USB flash drive although the drive is detected?

Sanjay Somabhai June 5, 2013

I can not see my USB flash drive content. However it detects drive, displays drive letter w/o its details. This happens only for transcend 8 GB pen drive. It works fine for HP pen drives. Computer: HP ProBook 4440s 64 bit.

1. Mustahsin Sharif

It can be because of the format or there can be a problem with your device. Try formatting with different file systems. Check if your flash drive works in other pc if it does than the problem is in your pc and if it doesn't than the problem is in the pen drive.

2. Costin Galan

The only way is to format the usb drive because you may be using a different file system (for instance ext4 etc.). Convert the file system to ntfs and it may work.

3. Leland Whitlock

If you have network drives mounted they may conflict with the drive letter assigned to the flash drive. This is why changing the drive letter assigned to the drive may fix the problem as mentioned in the first answer. First however is the question does it work on other computers? If not then it may need to be formatted before use. Also of note sometimes it might be tied to the port used. Do you have another open port on the computer to try? If so try that. One way or the other it will start working as long as it is not on the way out. Flash drives have a limited life. Your could also have come to the end of it. I have experienced this with two drives in the last 8-10 years. Good luck.

With the drive plugged in, run "Computer Management"
    1. Open Storage=>Disk Management
    2. Locate the drive in the list in the bottom half of the window.
    3. If the filing system is listed as "RAW", then the file system has become corrupted and you should reformat it. If it shows a known filing system (e.g. NTFS, FAT32) then the problem lies elsewhere.

Try the suggestions listed below in command prompt -

attrib -h -s -r -a *.*

Also,see the below video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5djLvtHdtFI