Why can I not open some 1MB+ image files recovered with Recuva?

peter_lydon May 24, 2013

I recovered some images from an SD card using Recuva (pretty cool). All the files are image files and some of the the files recovered are in excess of 1MB.

When I open them (MS Picture Manager and Photoshop) all I get is the small square with an X and a message along the lines of the image is not coded properly (or some such).

Any ideas on how I can get these files to show the image they represent?

1. reha andrew

Hey! why don't you try Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery. I heard a lot about it. Its a good photo recovery software.

2. Zamira

You images might be damaged, you may try some other recovery software like power data recovery.

Peter, you got some good answers there. If you still have the SD card and haven't saved any new data onto it, try other recovery software such as Pandora Recovery, ADRC first. If this does not help, chances are the files really are damaged, but you can still try to open them repair them with a package such as Picture Doctor, or open them with different editors and hope that some of the image would be recoverable. I've had pretty good luck with IrfanView, which will often open corrupt jpg files and display the uncorrupted part successfuly.

• peter_lydon

Oron, I hadn't thought of InfanView. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Paul Pruitt

There are lot of free tools to repair PSD files, but not so much with JPG or PNG. One thing you can try is https://online.officerecovery.com/pixrecovery/. Use the coupon "S2SERVICES" for free recoveries. The coupon is good until Nov. 1.

You can use it an unlimited amount of times which usually cost $39 a pop :-) so the coupon offered originally to my customers by the head of the company, is quite generous. Officerecovery.com is one of the major data repair companies and is the maker of probably the largest range of file repair programs.

There is also a limited set of jpg recovery tools here: http://legacy.s2services.com/jpg-bmp.htm. I think one of them, Jpeg-repair, although at times effective, is difficult to use.

• peter_lydon

Thanks Paul - I'll add those to my list of tries.

5. Danny Kopite

If a long time has passed since those images were deleted, chances of successful recovery is a slim one. As the files get overwritten, it's harder to recover them fully.

There are a couple of things you can do -
    1. Open those corrupt images in different image viewers and try to save them again in another partition or hard disk. I hear Paintshop Pro is good one to open these corrupt images.

2. Open them in an image editor like Photoshop or GIMP and hope they open. If they open even partially (with grey lines or other garbage), try to crop the areas of images which are still good and if you're happy with the result, save the file to another location.

3. Try again with another recovery program.

Advice: Try to recover the files as soon as you delete them. And when recovering don't save the recovered files in the same partition from which they were deleted.

yap if the hard drive is written then the images are full or partially deleted, so recovering will be very difficult and/or corrupted.

• peter_lydon

Thanks Danny,
      The files were on an SD card in a camera. It appears someone deleted some files to make way for new ones (or it automatically overwrote older files with new ones). There was about 128 images on the SD card when I got it. I recovered approx 450 images using Recuva. Most of the images open except a few. They're now sitting on my desktop. I'l have a go with a few packages - Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro couldn't open them. Thanks for you suggestions.

These files has not got recovered by Recuva.

• peter_lydon

Hi Rajaa, any suggestions as to how to recover them? Some are 3mb in size.

perhaps recovery was not successful, even though you recovered them they are damaged, you have to try some repair tools, or use another one instead Recuva.