Why can I not open my external WD passport hard drive?

July 11, 2013

When I plug my WD passport into my computer (or any computer) it isn’t coming up. I can find it, but I can’t open it and view the files.

It does the same thing on a Windows or a Mac. However, if I plug it into the TV, it recognizes some or most of the files, so I know they’re still there. Is it a driver problem? Can anyone help before I lose 500 GB of my life?

1. dragonmouth

May be a formatting problem. It may be formatted in a file system that neither Windows nor OS/X recognize.

2. Chirag S

Try this just after plunging in the WD right click my computer manage go to storage on win 7 or 8 old computer just disk management. see there there must be a drive without any drive letter assigned to it add a drive letter to it and check that your content will be got displayed Now.

3. Phill D

You hard drive is corrupted so that you are unable to access your data and files from it. Use Kernel for Windows Data Recovery Software to recover your data instantly.

4. Bam

Does the drive have a letter assigned to it in Windows? You may have a corrupted file system on the drive. If it has a letter, you can check by doing the following:

If you are using Vista or higher, you will first need to open an elevated command prompt.
    From the Start Menu, under Accesories find Command Prompt and right click. Select Run As Adminstrator and accept the User Account Control prompt.

If you are using XP you can just run the Command Prompt.

When the command prompt appears, type CHKDSK driveletter: /F
    (replacing driveletter with your assigned letter).

It will check the file system and attempt to correct any errors. However, be aware depending on its condition you may still end up with corrupted files.

Some times this corruption can occur when unplugging from your TV or not safely removing the device from your computer.

5. Ezekiel S

i have a WD passport and experiencing that just go to a store and buy a new USB 3.0 Cable and it will fix your problem and dont forget to clean the usb ports of your pc

see if this microsoft solution of any help
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

you sat i can find it, how? is it in disk management?

If this is a portable drive (no separate power supply), then this may be a power issue. Portable hard drives require a fair bit of power, and while they SHOULD fall within the USB specs (500mA for USB 2.0), some demand a little more. Equally, some hosts (computers, TVs etc) provide just a little below spec, so sometimes you get a bad combination.
    To test this theory, try the HD on a number of different USB ports on different computers (not just your PC & Mac) and see if they can be read on any of them. If this is indeed the problem, and none of the ports on your computers provide enough power, then there are two things you can do: 1) get a USB "Y" cable which will aggregate the power from two different sockets or 2) use an external power supply if your HD has a socket for one (if it does not, you may be able to obtain another HD enclosure, which does have such a connection, and transfer the drive itself to it.