Why can I not delete data from my SD card or format it?

Philip Pb June 18, 2012

I have a 8 GB SD card. I was not able to download anything to it, nor can I delete anything on it. So I decided to format it. I tried it in the computer, but it didn’t work. So I tried to format it in my cell phone. After formatting it, I found out that nothing had been deleted. Now I have the same old problem of not being able to download anything to it. Can somebody please help my?

1. PRitam dev

I am unable to delete files from my micro sd card and unable to format it..it shows formatted,but not actually..can i format it not using a pc?i mean using my mobile?

It seems that your card is not being recognized or has been formatted in wrong format.Format the card in the mobile itself for avoiding compatibility issues.

2. jagath

my 2 GB micro SD card not detected by my computer

Go to device management and see your memory card name.If yellow exclamation mark is there then try to reinstall the driver or troubleshoot it by right clicking on it.

3. marc smith

hi, might sound like a silly question, but have you checked if it has accidently "locked" it (on the side of the card there is a little tab)

hope it is something as easy as this for you

4. ghazanfar abbas

i cant format my memory card.it has 2 files corrupted in it.when i wanna to delete it,an error display that this file directory is corrupted or unreadable.how can i format these?????plz plz tell

5. UD98

that is a symptom of you pressing the little switch

6. Diane Kotlarz Hajduk

• Diane Kotlarz Hajduk

OOPS SD CARD : )

7. Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

try formatting the card from command prompt by specifying the drive in which memory card is detected or u can also use easeus partition software for formatting

Hello, you could try formatting with the following tool created specifically for memory cards:

9. Deepak Kapoor

Connect your memory card to your pc and note down its drive letter , lets say (E:).
    go to windows+r (Run)
    type in cmd
    when a black screen comes up, type in the drive letter , in this case enter-> E:/
    then press enter
    then type in
    format E:/
    it will ask to dismount , type y and press enter
    wait for few moments, it will be formatted. I hope that it helped

10. ryandigweed0

Connect it to your computer and format it by running Windows Disk Management. Search for it in the start up menu. Otherwise use the HP USB format tool :)

Maybe the reader you are using is faulty, or the card is faulty.

11. Arun Singh

Try to format your SD card in other computer. if not download Easeus partition manager http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm and install then insert your sd card after that open pation magic and using this software format your sd card. If not then might be there is any problem in your sd card.

12. Susendeep Dutta

I think that your SD card is write protected.

Format using Gparted -

Remove Write Protection On USB Pen Drive or Memory Card or iPod -

Also,ha14 suggested some steps -

" ... Start > Run “cmd”
    type–> diskpart
    type–> list volume
    type–> select volume #
    type–> attributes disk clear readonly
    type–> x:\>attrib -r /s /d (X= USB drive)
    1. Open start menu, in the search bar type REGEDIT and press enter. This will open the registry editor.
    2. Navigate to the following path:
    Note: If the registry key StorageDevicePolicies does not exist, you will need to create it manually.
    3. Highlight StorageDevicePolicies, and then create a New DWORD (32-bit) Value named as WriteProtect.
    4. Double click the key WriteProtect in the right window and set the value to 0 in the Value Data Box and press OK button
    5. Restart your computer and try copying files into your USB drives. "

Here USB drive can be assumed as USB adaptor with your memory card inserted.

13. chrismarciano

Make sure the little slider on the side of the SD card is not in the locked position.

14. Rose Orchard

Have you tried looking on the side of the card for a lock switch? It's normally a tiny button that you slide with a fingernail to lock the data on the card or unlock it.

Also, try checking in Windows Explorer to see if the drive is read only.

15. Rosemary Jayne

Have you tried looking on the side of the card for a lock switch? It's usually a slide button.

Alternatively try checking the information regarding the card in Windows Explorer and making sure it hasn't been set to read only.