Why can I not delete data from my SD card or format it?
Question by Philip Pb /

I have a 8 GB SD card. I was not able to download anything to it, nor can I delete anything on it. So I decided to format it. I tried it in the computer, but it didn’t work. So I tried to format it in my cell phone. After formatting it, I found out that nothing had been deleted. Now I have the same old problem of not being able to download anything to it. Can somebody please help my?

• PRitam dev

I am unable to delete files from my micro sd card and unable to format it..it shows formatted,but not actually..can i format it not using a pc?i mean using my mobile?

It seems that your card is not being recognized or has been formatted in wrong format.Format the card in the mobile itself for avoiding compatibility issues.

• jagath

my 2 GB micro SD card not detected by my computer

Go to device management and see your memory card name.If yellow exclamation mark is there then try to reinstall the driver or troubleshoot it by right clicking on it.

• marc smith

hi, might sound like a silly question, but have you checked if it has accidently “locked” it (on the side of the card there is a little tab)

hope it is something as easy as this for you

• ghazanfar abbas

i cant format my memory card.it has 2 files corrupted in it.when i wanna to delete it,an error display that this file directory is corrupted or unreadable.how can i format these?????plz plz tell

• UD98

that is a symptom of you pressing the little switch

• Diane Kotlarz Hajduk

• Sri Swaminathan Vanarasi

try formatting the card from command prompt by specifying the drive in which memory card is detected or u can also use easeus partition software for formatting

Hello, you could try formatting with the following tool created specifically for memory cards:

• Deepak Kapoor

Connect your memory card to your pc and note down its drive letter , lets say (E:).
    go to windows+r (Run)
    type in cmd
    when a black screen comes up, type in the drive letter , in this case enter-> E:/
    then press enter
    then type in
    format E:/
    it will ask to dismount , type y and press enter
    wait for few moments, it will be formatted. I hope that it helped

• ryandigweed0

Connect it to your computer and format it by running Windows Disk Management. Search for it in the start up menu. Otherwise use the HP USB format tool :)

Maybe the reader you are using is faulty, or the card is faulty.