Why can I no longer view Flash content in Firefox since upgrading to Windows 8?

Gordon Hay November 8, 2012

Since upgrading to Windows 8 I have been unable to view Flash content in Firefox. If the Shockwave plugin is enabled, I get a dialogue box under the above title which states :

“The instruction at 0x71a30000 referenced memory at 0x71a30000. The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program”

This error message cycles repeatedly until the plugin is disabled.

This happens with both the 11.4.402 and the new 11.5.502 versions of the flash player. Their are no problems with flash content in IE10 or Chrome.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?

1. Gordon Hay

I have found the answer to my problem - it was caused by the banking security program TrusteerRapport, which has apparently caused problems with flash before, and which runs outside of the browser so the usual things of running without add-ons etc. don't cover it. Anyway I stopped the program's processes and the problem with the flash plugin had gone.

If you have TrusteerRapport on your computer then open Task Manager (as Administrator), then under processes click on each of the three Rapport entries and click end task for each. Then run Firefox and try it. Be aware that, unless you uninstall Trusteer, it will start up again if you do a restart, and you will have to repeat this step. I am about to send a report to Trusteer asking if they are aware of this and have it in hand.

If you don't have Rapport, then perhaps a similar program which runs in the browser without being a plugin or extension may be to blame. Good luck!

2. Gianna Marie Lanete

maybe u disble the flash player plug ins.

3. josemon maliakal

Manually installing flash will help ..

4. Dimal Chandrasiri

I think the flash is not compatible with windows 8. try to use a browser like chrome that has inbuilt flash support!

5. Boni Oloff

Maybe Adobe will release a new update soon. Since Windows 8 is new.

6. Douglas Mutay

There an issue with the lastest flash player on Windows 8. Microsoft has implemented Adobe’s Flash Player into Internet Explorer in Windows 8 as a built-in component instead of a third-party plugin. The advantage of this is that it enables playback of Flash content in the the new plugin-free Windows 8 browser. But the bad news is that other browsers that users may need to install will have a problem installing the Flash player plugin.
    the only way you can get it is by enabling automatic update of your browser hoping that it will catch this update and install it as long as the browser update.
    You can also follow this link and see if it can help you: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

did you tried to clean windows registry and junk files with CCleaner, Wise registry cleaner...

Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keep-flash-up-to-date-and-troubleshoot-problems

Playing Flash videos makes Firefox hang

Flash hardware acceleration may cause this problem. To disable HW acceleration in Flash:
    1. Make sure you are using the latest version of Flash. To check your version, see Adobe's About page.
    2. Navigate to a page that shows a Flash video.
    3. Right-click on the video player and click Settings... in the context menu. The Adobe Flash Player Settings screen will open.
    4. Click on the icon at the bottom-left of the Adobe Flash Player Settings window to open the Display panel.
    5. Remove the check mark from Enable hardware acceleration.

8. Naveen Kumar

try to manually install flash player plugins for Firefox try these steps
    1. Down­load the NPSWF32.dll file from http://?www?.dll?-files?.com/?d?l?l?i?n?d?e?x?/?d?l?l?-?f?i?l?e?s?.?s?h?t?m?l???n?p?s?w?f32. Put it in your Portable Fire­fox plu­gin folder. (…\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\plugins)

2. Go to http://?fpdown?load?.macro?me?dia?.com/?g?e?t?/?f?l?a?s?h?p?l?a?y?e?r?/?x?p?i?/?c?u?r?r?e?n?t?/?f?l?a?s?h?p?l?a?y?e?r?-?w?i?n?.?xpi and down­load that file. Extract/?unzip it in your Portable Fire­fox plu­gin folder. (…\FirefoxPortable\App\Firefox\plugins)

You now have flash, very sim­ple!

Hey thanks! I did not know did way.

• Gordon Hay

What has portable apps got to do with my question? Please explain

The permissions is granted by Microsoft as it maintains a list of sites allowed to display flash.But in this process,many good sites also get blocked from displaying it.

To overcome this,follow the instructions in the link below -

http://www.howtogeek.com/127787/how-to-use-flash-on-any-website-in-modern-internet-explorer-10/

• Gordon Hay

I don't think you have read my question - I have a problem with the Flashplayer (Shockwave) plugin in Firefox since the upgrade to Win8, not with flash in IE10.

Kindly apologize for this mistake as I messed up with browsers.I had read your question but confused with browsers.

I suspect,Adobe haven't released support for Windows 8 as you can see in their sites as well as Filehippo.com site too which doesn't have any mention for Windows 8.For example,if you visit the link below and choose OS,Windows 8 doesn't gets displayed -

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

• Gordon Hay

Yes, I had noticed that this page only identifies my system as Windows 64-bit with no version number.

I hope that it is only a matter of waiting for updated version from Adobe and/or Mozilla that will solve my problem, and not because I upgraded from 7 rather than installed 8 from new. In the meantime I'm using IE10 or Chrome for flash content.