Why can Google Drive not install in F:/Google Drive?

Faisal July 9, 2013

I want to use Google Drive as a virtual drive to store my documents. While installing, it says it cannot install in F:/Google Drive.

Now I know that it doesn’t install in root folder and it’s not even installing in default My Documents folder. Then how can I install it? Can’t I somehow show it in My Computer where other drives are listed?

I have tried searching on Google, but couldn’t find any answer, so please help. I have mostly .torrent , .rar and .pdf files that I want to store. Can I do that? waiting for reply.

1. Dimitri K

F:/ is for removable disks only, hence Google Drive wouldn't put it as a valid option. Try installing on your own hard disk (C:/). By the way, is there any particular reason you need to install on F:/ anyway? It would just be simpler installing Google Drive on your computer drive.

2. Sash P

I don't think google drive can install on any other drive except the C drive.

3. Justin Pot

Where you install the software doesn't matter, but sadly it's also quite difficult to move the actual folder. Check out these instructions for Windows:

http://gappstips.com/docs-tips/view/106/change-the-google-drive-default-folder

Convoluted, but should work. Good luck!

Does the F: drive even exist on your system?

Software installers only create directory trees. They do not automatically create a virtual hard disk if the drive letter doesn't exist.

If you want Google Drive appear as a virtual hard drive you will first have to install it normally e.g. "My Documents" and then assign a drive letter eg. using "subst" as described in the thread linked by Norbert

If the default location gives you an error too then please open up Event Viewer (Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative tools) and look for errors in the Application and Setup logs.

• Oron J

Actually that's not the case. Google drive creates a separate virtual drive.

• Faisal Khan

Yes Jan F i do have an F drive but the case is i can't install it because its not allowing me to do so on FAT32. Google Drive only installs on NTFS drives. Thanks for replying.