Why aren’t my points increasing even if I comment on posts or answer the questions?

Kyem G December 6, 2013

This question is only to MakeUseOf team. Well I’ve been an active member/account holder since the last 4 to 5 years, and always MakeUseOf team has encouraged its users for commenting and discussing my posts, answering questions, liking and sharing posts etc etc… Also earlier it had ‘Answer of the Week’ contest where the best answerers were awarded with real money. Well it was really encouraging. I have been here to gain knowledge and also share mine and obviously MakeUseOf encouraged me by awarding points and ranks and also I have won $30 from the ‘Answer of the Week’ contest’.
But recently I was disappointed to see that even after commenting on posts, sharing, answering questions, my point is still stuck to 1982. I waited for some time believing that MUO is having some fault in its new system but no, I finally had to write this even after commenting a post on iOS by Bakari and answering a few questions. I was disappointed to see this as I had never had any intention to spam and I put on my answers or comments based on my knowledge and external sources. Even there is no increase in ranks (well I know it take some time to get to the top list). So why is this happening to me??
But this one is guaranteed that even if MUO doesn’t reward me any point, it will always be my favourite website for tech knowledge!!!

1. Alan W

I agree with what you are saying about the points system with one reservation. In my opinion its a waste of time! My points have been stagnant for god knows how long now and just wished the system was completly scrapped. By now there should be enough people posting without wanting some unreachable reward so get rid of it.

• James B

You only get points for sharing articles at the moment; are you doing that?

Multiple comments posted due to not seeing a post, and then reposting is a minor issue, just as there are times that one can click "Post", then if it is processing, one clicks "Post"again, there could be double posts. We have suggested before that if fires happen, just post a comment underneath stating that it was a mistaken double post (I have stated "Sorry for the multiple posts" before just to let the moderators know that it was unintentional).

What I meant by multiple posts were people posting 3-word comments that had little to no value or did not have anything to do with the question or article.

My previous comment did get held so here's the exact text of the message copied from the page after hitting 'Post Comment:' "Thanks for your comment, it is currently awaiting moderation"

When posting comments, you need to pay attention to the message you get after hitting the post comment button. It will either say "Thank your for your comment" or "Your comment is awaiting moderation" (I think that's the wording). Even site editors get these messages when posting comments and our own comments may be held for moderation.

If you get the first, your comment should be immediately visible after refreshing the page. If you get the second one, it won't be visible until it is approved by one of the site moderators. There are a variety of reasons it could have been held in the moderation queue, some of them under our control and some applied automatically by WordPress and not under our control. In many cases it could be a word or phrase that makes it look like spam or may indicate abusive content. It may simply have too many links (again, frequently a sign of spam), or a link to a site that has spammed us in the past. Long comments get held for moderation as well (this one probably will).

In any case, you simply need to be patient and normally within a few hours a moderator will get eyes on your comment and approve and publish it if we feel the machine tests got it wrong.

And keep on learning!

5. Kyem G

I'm not contradicting you Bruce and Dalsan. But Dalsan I must make you clear that there are some technical issues too. Like you said about repeated same comments by a user. But I guess there is a fault as a user cannot see his comment after posting. Yesterday itself, I commented on Bakari's article on Younity app for iOS. But I couldn't see my first comment long after I posted it. Again I came back to comment on the same article to give my personal review on the app. But I didn't find my previous comment and also I was sure that the web page was fully loaded. I commented, the second time and after that I could find both my comments. So if a user is commenting the same thing repeatedly, May be he is not intended to spam, nor did I have. And on the content of the comment or answer, as far as I did since the last 4 to 5 years, I put my efforts best of my knowledge or have had refered outer sources to answer. And obviously I'll go on answering to the best of my knowledge... And I learn here a lot!!!

• Oron J

Be aware that some comments are moderated. If your comment went into moderation, it will not be posted until the moderator has approved it (and of course, they may reject it!). The main purpose of moderation is to prevent spam and abusive comments, but it can sometimes be difficult to tell the difference between "real" comments and those two categories. That's life unfortunately.

Kyem, you are right. At present, no points are awarded within the Answers section. This was the result of a variety of factors - some technical, some to do with other changes to the website.

The good news is that we are actively looking into gamification of the Answers section and will hopefully have points awarded for at least some activities. Can I ask you (and everone else who is reading this) - what kind of points system would you like to see ? Have you got any particular ideas you'd like us to incorporate?

If you click on "Getting Points" and scroll down to section 3: Getting Points, it will list the actions you can do to gain points. In this list, there are only a couple of actions after creating an account, following MUO through social media sites, and subscribing to the MUO newsletter; those actions are inviting friends and sharing articles on various social media sites, with a daily limit on how many points one can earn for each action.

Within a few days of changing the system to Punchtab, a similar question was asked about losing the ability to gain points through commenting on articles and posting answers to the Q&A/Answers section. The answers given were because of abuse of multiple comments being made (same comments posted multiple times), spam comments being made (advertising something unrelated to the article or question asked, or placing junk comments just to gain points), or repeating other commenters without making an effort to add any extra information that adds value (not including comments in agreement with another poster as long as there is a reason why). Also, it was stated that the new system was more difficult to manage in this manner, but when a new, workable method of being able to award points for posting answers and possibly commenting on articles was found, it would be announced and implemented.

Gamification is only meant to spark friendly competition with hopes in striving for the best content being given. The system that was in place at the time before Punchtab was used, and earlier, sparked too much greed and lowered the quality of content being given by users.

I only gained about 30-40 points since the disabling of points for comments (including the disabling of points for likes on comments/posts). I'm not discouraged by the lack of points being given for posts as I have seen a greater amount of quality posts being given, which makes it easier for users to gain usable information.

I fully believe that posting anything should be meaningful, and anyone that wishes to answer reader or user questions should do so because they want to do it or like to help others (I love to help), but not do it just for points or rewards. I noticed many regulars stopped commenting/posting due to the changes in the point system, probably because they felt punished for others abusing the system. Yes, it can feel that way, but it was also to improve the quality of the website for its users and readers. It was similar for the Geeky Fun section since most of the content was taken from other websites; much of the content wasn't original, which took away the legitimacy of MUO.

All I can really say is that good things come to those that wait. Don't be discouraged since your comments could be beneficial to many readers and MUO.

First, thank you for your loyalty to the site. We really appreciate that!

As for your concerns about points on MakeUseOf, the main site still offers points for sharing content although in a more restrictive manner (you only get points for the first share on each social network per day, I think). When we switched to PunchTab, the main site gamification was quickly updated and active. Unfortunately, it is more complex with the Answers section of the site. We are still working out the details of how points will be earned with a low potential for abuse (we don't want to award points for comments that do not add value to the thread, etc.) yet provide proper incentive for community participation and growth.

Please bear with us while we work out the issues. Trust me, the results will be worth the wait.