Why are some buttons in my laptop keyboard writing wrong characters?

Fawad Mirzad January 5, 2013

Yesterday I installed Oracle VirtualBox. And just few minutes after installation, I saw that some buttons are writing wrong characters. For example when I write O it writes 6.

After this problem I have uninstalled Oracle VirtualBox, restored my Windows 7 to a state before virtual box installation, disabled antivirus and tried system restore, but seems that nothing is working. I still have this problem.

1. Mahesh Kumar

Use FN+NUMLOCK and it must work fine..

2. Keven Tao

Check your "Fn" Keys.

3. Keven Tao

1. Make sure caps lock is off.
    2. Look on your Fn keys and see if any setting is on.
    Thats all I know.

4. Ravi Meena

This is for sure because of the numlock key, press fn+numlock and it should start working fine. had this problem once and got it solved like this.

5. Bill Hancher

Turn off your "Num Lock" feature on your keyboard. If that doesn't help try checking your Keyboard Language settings in Control Panel.

6. Dmitriy Haralson

well from what you said, it seems you have num lock on

another less likely possibility is you have the wrong keyboard selected, which you should be able to change with ctrl+shift providing you have 2 sets of keyboards selected for use

Thanks all for nice guesses.But i have found the solution. You may laugh on me as I did. but when i turned the numlock off the problem is solved now.

8. Chris Bell

Do a system Windows restore, back to a time B4 it was faulty/installed new software, that should sort you out?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/products/features/system-restore

9. Chris Bell

Well it maybe that you have the wrong Keyboard selection, usually it's a USA keyboard, that's standard, Also it can be a Virus, or it may indeed be a faulty keyboard, plug a USB KB in to test this out.

10. David Fecketter

Numlock is usually the culprit on laptops. my L key has a tiny 3 in the corner and the rest of the numbers are there as well. If you can't find the numlock control, try opening the onscreen keyboard under accessibility and click the control there to turn it off.

11. ShowStopper

I've had this happen to me several times. You most likely have your keyboard set to the wrong language. Check your keyboard's regional settings.

uninstall driver then reinstall again

Laptops without separate keypads assign a group of keys to act as a keypad when NUM LOCK is on.

• Paul Pruitt

This sounds like the best answer.

• Yiz Borol

This is most likely the correct answer, depending on your computer, there should be a software button and hardware key to turn off numlock and the issue should go away.
      Another possiblity is that you're using a weird keyboard setup, like DVORAK or something, but it seems more likely that it's NUMLOCK, just google numlock and the OEM name and model of your laptop and I'm sure you'll find how to turn it off.

• Anestis Kozakis

Yup, laptop keybaords generally use some fo the letter keys on the keybaord to emulate the number-pad when the NUMLOCK key is on. VirtualBox may have set this via software.

Turn NUMLOCK off and you should be back to normal.

In control panel click on Regional and Language Options then check that the right language is selected for your keyboard.

15. Ahmed Musani

you could try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. that may help as that is the only possible solution that comes to my mind.