Why are not all LAN users listed when checking via WiFi?

Dimal Chandrasiri January 24, 2013

I recently created a small office network with 10+ computers. 9 of them are desktop computers so I used Ethernet cable to connect them. The computers are connected to a switch via a patch panel and to a WiFi router for internet access. All of these computers are connected to the same work group and sharing public files are enables. All sharing functions are enabled and every one can see each others computers over the network.

But the issue is with the one laptop that is connected over WiFi to the network. The laptop lists some of the desktop computers that are in the LAN, but not all. I used run command and gave the path to a non listed computer and it shows up very well. But the thing is, I need to list all the computers in the network places.

What should I do to this issue?

Laptop OS: Windows 7
WiFi router: DLink
Stock settings with WiFi password.

1. Nevzat Akkaya

It also be related to a software configuration or a firmware bug of your router though.

2. Nevzat Akkaya

I think it's TCP/IP v6 problem. We had a similar case on our network, some PC's did not see the whole computer list properly. I've disabled all TCP/IP 6's on our network, all clients one by one, after that problem has gone. Network access and listing is faster and less problematic.

3. Danny Zamolxis

I guess that you are on different workgroups

4. Jagbir Sembhi

its because some people have disabled SSID over WiFi, if you want to joint he network you have to manually type in the SSID.

5. Jagbir Sembhi

did you enabled any firewall?

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

7. Etech Etech

Could it be that the computers that don't show up don't have the capability for wireless internet?

8. Logan Ingram

My best guess for you is that a setting is not checked on the computers that are not visable.